Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Condensate Return

peterhague
peterhague Member Posts: 1
can anyone give me a recommendation on how to get my steam condensate return back to the boiler.
I have two 150 lbs./hr. steam to steam generators for humidifiers.
After going thru the steam generator and F&T trap we will have non-pressurized condensate return.
What will be best & cheapest between a condensate pump unit (WC) or a pumpless condensate unit(PPC)?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,004
    An electric condensate pump will be the least expensive, Personally I would prefer a cast Iron tank although you could use steel which is cheaper. Single pump but if the operation is critical a duplex pump with a mechanical alternator is a better choice. It's best to size the tank large enough to prevent excessive pump cycling. Since most of the steam will be evaporated I'm not sure how much condensate the pump must handle but I'm sure the humidifier mfg or the engineer can help with that. 1 rule of thumb is to size the pump gpm for double the anticipated condensate load and 20 psi over the steam generator pressure using the pump gpm to size the discharge line and taking the piping pressure drop into consideration. Most codes require two check valves, one at the pump discharge and one at the steam generator