Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wirsbo TruFlow Valve Sticking?

haukeg
haukeg Member Posts: 23
edited November 2017 in Radiant Heating
I have a Wirsbo 4 valve manifold with TruFlow valves and one of them seems to be sticking when the Uponor actuator opens. It makes a loud banging/clicking noise which is very irritating, see link for a video showing the behavior and fix. It seems to be fixed by manually pushing the TruFlow valve in and releasing it (sometimes it takes many pushes to open), so I believe it is just sticking. Wondering if I need to replace the valve or if there is another fix? Or could something else be going on? Also, my manifold is on the supply side (not sure if that is relevant).
Thanks for any help!

Video of thumping noise on DropBox:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/b1ewayod4rjc2fu/RadiantThumping.MOV

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,024
    flow direction correct? What about switching the actuators around to see if it the actuator or valve stem.

If it is only one making the noise, maybe just replace the valve mechanism. How is the system fluid?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Replace the piston actuator port (available from Uponor dealer). They foul and stick on occaision, especially with boiler water that may need treatment.
  • haukeg
    haukeg Member Posts: 23
    Thank you for the responses. I will swap out the valve and see if that clears the issue. Thanks much!
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    As Hot Rod said. The manifold is piped backwards. You need to switch the supply and return. Those valves are designed to close off against flow. Not with flow. What you hear is the stem being sucked into the seat. Thunkathunkathunka...been there, seen that. Reversed S&R and problem went away. So dud the customers complaint.
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.