Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to clean heating system

Options
repo8000
repo8000 Member Posts: 2
I have a hot water baseboard heating system and furnace also provides my hot water. I have well water which I think has a lot of minerals. When ever I have to fix or replace a valve or pipe there is a lot of build up of crap in them. It looks like plaque in a bad artery. Is there a good way to flush or remove this from my heating system. Hooking up a pressure washer to flush, chemical additives, muriatic acid, etc.? I've seen Youtube videos of flushing services for heating systems but they all seem to be in the United Kingdom. I would appreciate any hints or directions. Thank you

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    If the heating system is crudding up with minerals, it's quite likely you have a problem which is causing the autofeeder to add makeup water. If the mineral build-up is on the domestic water side, a regular flushing regime may be advisable.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    If it's just the piping related to your boiler/heating system, maybe a small sacrificial electric hot water heater, prior to the water feeder may help. I remember this from one of Dan's books. I did this for a very old heating system-open exp tank in attic, on well water. The customers plumber was replacing the boiler every 3-4 years. This last one has been in for almost 7 and looking good.
    steve
  • repo8000
    repo8000 Member Posts: 2
    Options
    I don't actually have a problem with my system. I am just wondering about a way to give the whole system a good cleaning for better heat transfer. Similar to the way we used to clean heating system on cars. Where you would add chemicals, start car, run heater and then drain and run clean water to rinse any cleaner left in system. It really improved heat in the car.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,143
    Options
    If you have recently open the system and observed a build up or sludge deposits, it's time for a flush.

Typically a hydronic cleaner will do the job, Rhomar and Fernox are a couple common brands.

If you have a hard build up from minerals, as Kurt mentioned you may have a leak and it's taking on fill water ocassionally. Turn off the fill and observe the pressure for a day or two.

If it is a hard water build up, you may need an acid based cleaner Hercules Sizzle is one product.

Hydronic cleaners are typically soap based and will not do much for hard build up.

If you do use an acid based cleaner, you need to run a ph balance product, or add a hydronic inhibitor as you will strip and expose copper and steel to potential corrosion.

You are correct,a very thin coating on any heat exchange surface greatly reduces performance and drops efficiency.

Often the boiler or heater will make a hissing or percolation noise if it has a build up inside.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream