Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

adding a radiator with TRV to a baseboard heating loop

Options
martyl
martyl Member Posts: 2
I'm redoing my bathroom. We have a hot water baseboard heating system on the whole floor.

I bought a Runtal radiator slightly oversize. We also are installing some heating mats in the floor.
The logic is, when we go away on vacation and the house is cold, the bathroom will heat up much faster than the rest of the house. We want a TRV to control the amount of heat coming out of the radiator (without affecting the rest of the floor). Can we use a diverter (venturi) tee to not affect the rest of the floor?

I'm not an HVAC guy and I want to make sure this works (my contractor is better at "hooking up pipes" than "figuring it out"

Marty

Comments

• GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    Marty, yes, scoop/venturi the new rad. This will affect the pressure drop a bit, but most zones are already over-pumped.

Of course your rad won't heat unless your main zone is on

If your piping guy is illequipped, maybe hunt down someone with more knowledge

Gary
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • martyl
    martyl Member Posts: 2
    Options
    It looks like we're going to add a bypass with a quarter-turn shut off which I'll manually adjust. If I have the bypass blocked, all the flow will be through the Runtal radiator.

Essentially I'll do some playing to come up with reasonable settings. A venturi system is far more elegant (should this eventually do the same?)

This would be better than opening the window to moderate the heat ;-)

If we have a monoflo, how much will it restrict the line when the runtal is turned off?