Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How do you insulate PEX??

EBEBRATT-Ed
EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,064
What do you use on pex?

Fiberglass doesn't bend.

Armaflex dries out when used on heat.

If using Armaflex on chilled water the ID of the armaflex doesn't match the pex od. Air can get between the pex and insulation and cause condensation.

We had a horror story in a data center raised floor because of that.

What's the answer

Comments

• bmwpowere36m3
    bmwpowere36m3 Member Posts: 512
    I'm curious as well… I've seen lots of PEX installs, no insulation. My understanding is that its a poor conductor as compared to copper piping.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    We use Armaflex or similar polyolefin foams on heating pipes. The refrigeration type (continuous roll with no split) holds together better, but requires a bit of planning. Someone here pointed out that hot glue holds joints together really well.

We like Aquatherm for chilled water, at least at larger diameters. PEX pigtails to coils and such become a tiny part of the overall system. They sell (and have approvals for) Reflectix wrapping, which doesn't seem to produce (or care much about) condensate -- though I'm a lot less enthusiastic about its performance with hot water.
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    Cut it out and use copper...Joking
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Heating is one thing. I don't even like PEX but there is a place for it. The problem we had trying to insulate it was on chilled water.

Plus if your in a plenum ceiling you aren't supposed to be using armaflex ........or probably pex either
    AlCorelliNY
  • Hilly
    Hilly Member Posts: 428
    most pex-a's are rated for a Plenum up to 3/4" in US and 1" in Canada without requiring insulation. Uninsulated they will usually require a min of 18 oc spacing between tubing.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    A good trick for sliding un-slit insulation onto PEX is to tape a copper cap onto the end of the pipe. It smooths out the rough edge and allows the PEX to JUMP onto the pipe. Back in the hey days of solar, we used this same method for insulating copper piping. Works like a champ.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

kcoppHarvey RamerSWEI
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    Mark,
    That's a good trick.
    I usually duct tape the end especially when sliding it on refrigeration piping to keep the "baby powder" and rubber flakes out but the copper cap is a better idea + no gummy tape residue to get off before brazing or soldering
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    jonny88 said:

Cut it out and use copper...Joking

Pex unless its installed correctly, can end up looking like a rubber jungle….I agree rip it out and install copper, not joking…Pex has its place but not where it can be seen...
    jonny88
  • j a_2
    jonny88 FYI the sox are coming to the Bronx…i predict a sweep, by the sox…Your starting picture seemed a wee bit off on opening day…Oh also on our home opener the Super Bowl Pats are expected to be there…Gee maybe the Jets will show up for your opener, can’t imagine why…LOL……Seriously thou if your ever up in Boston your welcome to Fenway, as my guest…. Nothing like a Fri. nite game in the summer against the Yanks…Its a side show
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    j a just cause I live here dont mean I root for Wankees sorry typo Yankees.Would love to take you up on the offer had many good times up there
  • j a_2
    Hay feel free to contact me japlumbing38@comcast.net. 6176886802. Truth be told I always enjoy watching the Yanks....They are to baseball as steam heat is to our industry....
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    No pex is not going to show. I don't like anything plastic or propress or megapress or Aquatherm. Screw it, solder it, weld it.

But this is a job for pex. Hot water feeding fan coils inside a hollow wall, won't freeze and won't show. Kills me to admit it's a good application for pex. Have to be realistic.

As far as Red Sox -Yankees, I'm a diehard Yankee fan from Western, MA so I have been taking S--t about it for years.

I must admit this year we don't have a chance!!
  • j a_2
    Yes. Must admit I have used it as well...Somehow the Yanks end up pulling it out....lots of storied history with them....