Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

15 Year Old Pex & Brass

Options
BigRob
BigRob Member Posts: 322
I needed to simplify some piping and removed some PEX installed about 15 years ago. I was pretty amazed how pliable the 1" pipe still is. I would say this pipe was abused. There was a bucket of iron oxide in this piping system for years. I would say at least 5+. Also, the water temps were very high- 150's to 180's. I was really concerned about our piping and brass fitting condition, now, not so much. I'm a pex believer now. I Just hope no rodents show up.

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    PEX is really tough stuff. Aside from misapplication, every serious problem I can recall seeing was associated with a connection of some sort (and not with the pipe per se.)
    Rich_49BigRob
  • BigRob
    Options
    I couldn't find pex A or B for a small exposed new section, so tried some pex C. The brand I found was really hard to bend compared to the old stuff and doesn't hold its shape nearly as well. It was about 65F outside. Not sure If this is a function of age or what.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    BigRob said:

I couldn't find pex A or B for a small exposed new section, so tried some pex C. The brand I found was really hard to bend compared to the old stuff and doesn't hold its shape nearly as well. It was about 65F outside. Not sure If this is a function of age or what.

When you say "exposed" I hope you don't mean to any UV rays. Sunlight will kill PEX, A,B or C
  • BigRob
    Options
    Thanks for checking. I meant it was visible inside the building.
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    Options
    I have found PEX-A to be the easiest to work with as well as the most durable. As with any PEX though, the warmer it is, the more pliable it is.