Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Is boiler oversized

Options
leaking
leaking Member Posts: 46
A few years ago I had a Weil McLain steam unit put in a 12 unit apartment. I did a lot of insulating before the guy came out , attic, foamed walls, windows, insulating doors, etc. I think it was replaced by the old units size even though I told the contractor what I did. This year When it was the coldest days in Chicago , below zero at night, near zero to 10 daytime it never ran more than 20 -30 minutes in an hour. Does that indicate an oversized boiler? In maybe 1982 it was colder, it got down to -26 with windchill of - freeze your nuts in 30 seconds. Yes we have not had real bad winters for years. Would I benefit from cutting back on the gas valve? The Weil mc lain also has that dual gas valve that I don't think is hooked up as two stage. I don't have model number with me or I'd post it. Thanks.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    I would look into getting the two stage gas valve hooked up so the boiler downfires as pressure starts to build. That could save on gas usage and shouldn't cost an arm and a leg.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Options
    DO NOT cut back the gas valve! It's not like a gas peddle on your car. Some real bad things can happen.
    Henry
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    If it was sized based on the old boiler, without calculating the attached Radiator EDR, it is probably over-sized but the only way to know for sure is to survey the radiators and caalculate the EDR and compare that to the boiler output. There should be a plate on that boiler that states the net Sq. Ft. of steam output.
    If it has a 2 stage gas valve, I would definitely have it wireed to work as a 2 stage.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    Weil McClain LGB boilers come with a 2 stage gas valve. As supplied from the factory, it will operate as a simple on/off valve. The installer needs to wire in a vaporstat (and a DPST relay if the boiler has 2 gas trains). Your attached EDR needs to be calculated and compared to the steam sq.ft. rating of the boiler.

Provide pics of boiler so we can review near boiler piping and a picture of one of your radiators and we can help you calculate the EDR of your radiators.

20-30 minutes sounds too short of a boiler cycle. My guess is that boiler is oversized and you may need more main venting. What main vents are currently installed? What size and length mains?
  • leaking
    Options
    Ok great, thanks, that's a lot of figuring for me to do, it will take time. I don't think the contractor did anything except sell me what he could for 26000. I didn't even get a vaporstat on the instal, I've had to learn my uneven heat cures. until I came here a few years ago and got dans books I was running 2-3 lb, now with a vaportat I cut out at maybe 17oz. I had to request a vaportat. The installer is good, they just don't do the numbers. Your in Palatine?
  • leaking
    Options
    Palatine Illinois? I'm S side chicago
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    leaking said:

Palatine Illinois? I'm S side chicago

northside of Chicago.