Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

small supply ductowrk

Options
sig
sig Member Posts: 13
I was recently called to look at a system with airflow problems. I found a 10ish yr. old gas fired furnace with add-on a/c with a 1940s or 50s octopus type duct system with pretty heavy gauge 3"ish flexible metal supply ducts feeding a Coleman vertical combination supply and return diffuser box. The box starts out larger at the bottom and it gradually tappers thinner toward the top. There is a lower return louvre and an upper supply louver. A few standard 6" dusts were added at some to feed the basement. The blower motor was recently replaced by another contractor but it vibrates and is noisy. There is velocity noise at the Coleman supply/return boxes.

Any ideas on what the original furnace would have been? My guess is high temp. with low velocity.

Comments

• bob_46
    bob_46 Member Posts: 813
    Options
    That is a Coleman Blend-Air system, 31/2" ductwork and special diffusers in the walls early 50's. High pressure, high velocity.
    Not a good or successful system. Noisy.
    bob
  • sig
    sig Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks bob. It's a bad system alright, to make matters worse everything is on the interior walls and the 100+ year old house and the original 6' high windows. With the velocity noise bad at a 1/2" I can't imagine what it'll sound like any higher.
  • GW
    GW Member Posts: 4,692
    Options
    Yes that's a classic, "happens every day" mistake. I'd presume 90% of techs don't know how to check static pressure. I'd presume 50% of installers don't check temp rise. Some people don't get it, hence the general post stating, "my new system isn't working normally", or, "my 3 year old system just lunched a blower motor".

Gee I wonder is super heat / sub cool was looked at and adjusted

Gary
    Gary Wilson
    Wilson Services, Inc
    Northampton, MA
    gary@wilsonph.com
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    GW said:

Yes that's a classic, "happens every day" mistake. I'd presume 90% of techs don't know how to check static pressure. I'd presume 50% of installers don't check temp rise. Some people don't get it, hence the general post stating, "my new system isn't working normally", or, "my 3 year old system just lunched a blower motor".

Gee I wonder is super heat / sub cool was looked at and adjusted

Gary

Those techs that don’t are not techs….There fakes…The other 10 percent should be real busy….And for that matter a business owner that sends out fakes should be held accountable, for stealing from customers….