Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

twinning two oil burners on one supply

Options
ckurtz
ckurtz Member Posts: 1
overheard "mechanic" in supply house on how he could pipe two burners off of one supply line counterman said he could , i say no, any thoughts

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sure. It's easy to do. Just do it, Just be sure that the oil supply is at least 1/2" OD tube, 5/8" (1/2" CTS) is better, because if there is any restriction between the burner pumps and the oil tank/filters, one pump will suck off the other, and the "Other" will loose prime.

And you know what happens when THAT happens. The phone rings because the red light is on.

Check Valves don't seem to help.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,534
    Options
    If the burners are above the fuel level In the tank this would be problematic. I wouldn't do it.
    JMHO
    Burners below the fuel level in the tank shouldn't be a problem.
  • Tony Massi
    Tony Massi Member Posts: 86
    Options
    If you really had to you could install a relay that only lets one burner run at a time. A preferential relay where the water heater has preference. Just a band aid to a problem usually.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Two Tigerloops. And a properly sized suction line if the tank is below the burner.
    AlCorelliNYSWEI
  • Kakashi
    Kakashi Member Posts: 88
    Options
    You can do it. I believe in you but, it might not work after you do it. We are kinda missing a lot of information.