Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Honeywell L8124A Aquastat intermittent circulator short

Options
chrisCT1
chrisCT1 Member Posts: 2
Hi guys. I've got this aquastat and I'm getting issues where the zones are calling for heat and the circulator pump is not turning on. I was able to "reset" this by throwing the beaker on/off, after which the circulator pump would run. Then later when I zeroed in on this unit I could get the circulator pump to start by tapping on this box.

My question is this: if all the connections appear solid is there anything that would cause this to happen or am I looking at a busted aquastat. What else can I check?

Thank you!

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Have you had any buzzing lately? To be clear.....the zone calls, the boiler fires, and the circ doesn't turn on?
  • chrisCT1
    chrisCT1 Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Paul48 said:

Have you had any buzzing lately? To be clear.....the zone calls, the boiler fires, and the circ doesn't turn on?

Yes, that's what happens. We have a coil for hot water, and we are getting hot water no problem. The problem is that the circ is not getting triggered, and as you say the aquastat box makes a faint buzzing noise. Literally all it takes to get the circ moving is a sharp tap on top of the aquastat with my finger.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    The points are burnt on the circ relay inside the control. Have it replaced. That is why your problem is intermittent
  • Tony Massi
    Tony Massi Member Posts: 86
    Options
    Check the connection on T & T make sure the screws are on tight and the wires aren't loose or maybe broken.
    You could try next time it happens to jump out T & T and see if that does anything. Sometimes just taking off the cover will shake things enough to make the circulator come on. If its not a wire or thermostat problem then its most likely the aquastat.
    And its not cheap either.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Billtocase has it. We've seen it more than once. That and the burned spot on the board. Or the bogus spade connection they had to run the boiler. They gave you the replacement in a Tradeline replacement control.