Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Proper way to stop gravity rise?

Newtothis
Newtothis Member Posts: 12
I love heating help. You guys literally saved me $10k when I added Natural gas and switched my oil boiler over.

The cold winter is over. Now I am occasionally needing heat, but not everyday all day. So the gravity rise from my indirect tank is wasting heat up into my main floor. Coming off my boiler I have my indirect tank and two heating zones (basement and main floor). The gravity rise is enough that the pipes are hot through half of the main floor.

The zone for the main floor has a $10 swing check valve from mainline. When I designed my system I thought this would be sufficient, but it appears to not be doing the job.

What can I do to resolve this so that I don't have to manually shut off the zones every afternoon and turn them on in the morning?

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Spring check, not swing check. Sounds like you have zone circs. Can you post a photo of the piping?
  • Newtothis
    Newtothis Member Posts: 12
    Yes I have zone Circulators. The Swing check was added after the picture was taken. I realized I had reverse flow on the main floor. The Swing check is on the horizontal pipe that parallels the steel beam.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,452
    Flo-Control Valves

Bell & Gossett : Hydronic Heating/Plumbing Accessories : Flow Control Valves

This is what you need
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,752
    Did you get this fixed? We mostly use flow checks, ie like the Bell & Gossetts noted above but we use Taco as they make a sweat bronze up to 1" with is nice.
    Jean-David Beyer