Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Increasing Steam efficiency WM pdf

Options
vaporvac
vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
Someone recently asked for this in a post. I didn't bookmark it and have looked through the regular suspects recent ones with no luck. So here it is. I used the ideas extensively in my install and found it useful in many regards. I hope others do, as well. :)
Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF

Comments

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    Nice! Thanks @vaporvac .That was me asking for it. Appreciate it!
  • vaporvac
    Options
    Ur Welcome! The only thing I didn't incorporate (besides a two-staged gas valve) was the piping arrangement for multiple boilers. As shown here one can completely isolate the boilers. That's not necessary and skeeping stuff equal much harder. I did mine as SF and the pros on this site suggested.
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    I added insulation between the block and jacket of my old V7 boiler and found it cut the losses a little bit.

When I had the new G8 installed in 2012 I did the same and found it cut almost half a minute of the time it takes to raise steam to the boiler riser, that is not a lot but given the number of times a boiler fires in a season every little bit helps.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • vaporvac
    Options
    That's what was so great about this info. It quantifies all those things we try to do ie CPH. multi-staged firing, twinning, standby and jacket losses and let's one see the ADDITIVE effect of it all. It also influenced my decision to go with a wet-based boiler.