Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fresh makeup?

Xmytruck
Xmytruck Member Posts: 85
edited March 2015 in THE MAIN WALL
The continual introduction of fresh makeup water will reduce boiler life. So I notice this warning from a lot of boiler manufactures. But my question is what is too much fresh water make up? If I drain my system every year or if my system leaks five drops of water day? Most systems have auto feeders so they are expected to lose water. I am kinda confused on this one.

Thank you

Comments

• wogpa67
    wogpa67 Member Posts: 238
    You should never drain your system!
  • Larry_52
    Larry_52 Member Posts: 182
    Ideally you want to add no water during season, reality is no vent works perfectly and there is a slight loss over time. I would say a gallon or below of makeup a month is a good place to be during peak heating season. Draining and CLEANING (search wand cleaning) the boiler once a year is a good thing, but depends on your quality of makeup to determine necessity. After cleaning and refill , make sure to treat boiler to put pH around 9 and some O2 scavenger to boot. Many here advocate for Rector seal steam master tablets and I would say they are right on with this. Then run the boiler to pressure and shut her down until next season.
    KC_JonesChrisJ
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,122
    edited March 2015
    I agree with Larry,

I drain my boiler and wash it out with the wand once a year. I then toss in 2 Steamaster tablets and boiler the new water immediately. Some guys have said 2 is too many for them and use only 1.

From my understanding, with proper cleanings/blowdowns and appropriate water treatment makeup water isn't really that harmful.

Right now my understanding is Steamaster tablets greatly reduce corrosion, scavenges oxygen, helps force minerals floating in the water to sink to the bottom and also helps keep minerals from building up on the block. In higher dosages it can even clean mineral and scale buildup out of the block.

The downsides are it costs money and if too much is used it can cause wet steam.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,764
    ChrisJ said:

The downsides are it costs money and if too much is used it can cause wet steam.

Is the cost really a downside when compared to the cost of a new boiler. To me it's a tiny investment. Even if you don't monitor the PH regularly and just treat it once a year it's better than nothing. I am not advocating using it and not testing PH just saying I think it's better than nothing. The results do vary. Chris and I have the same exact boiler and 2 is WAY too much in mine. I was foaming and surging like crazy with 2. It all depends on what the water chemistry is to start with. Compared to a new boiler cost of that bottle of tablets that will last for years isn't even on my cost radar.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    I think he has a hot water boiler, no? Still no need to drain and flush annually, just follow the manufacturers instructions.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,491
    I've used steam master in my Smith G8-3 boiler since 2012 and find one tablet is more than enough to get the PH to the 9-10 range.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge