Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Burnham V-7 ran out of Fuel

Options
CTFlynn76
CTFlynn76 Member Posts: 1
Yesterday my above ground in basement heating oil tank ran dry. I have Burnham V-7 furnace with a Honeywell R8184G 4009 blower. It is a single line run from the tank to the fuel pump. I assume that the head pressure from a full tank will prime the line. My question is that the pump was running for sometime before is was discovered that there was no fuel, what is the likely hood that the fuel pump is burnt out from running dry for so long? or is there an automatic cut off that will shut the pump off when it senses a loss of flame?
My second question is restarting the furnace all there is switch mounted on side of the furnace that is connected to a PLC witch goes to the burner. Will the Burner go though an automatic purge and light cycle once the switch is on?
Thank you for your help

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Pump will only run up to it's lock out time, depending on the type of primary control, so it wont hurt the pump (unless you always use this method to monitor your fuel tank). But it could fill your fuel line/filter/pump strainer with crud and clog your nozzle.
    Question 2. No, you assume incorrectly. The fuel line and pump have to be bled and purged of all air by someone knowledgeable.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    And, if the burner ran for more than 45 seconds, something is either wired wrong, or the control is bad.

If you don't know how to test the control for proper operation, you need to call someone who does. You can drain the entire contents of the tank if the control doesn't work properly.