Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

replacing tankless oil fired boiler with ???

Options
arguscanis
arguscanis Member Posts: 2
My burnham oil fired boiler with tankless coil is done.
I'm located on Cape Cod
1000 sq ft one floor,, 1 bath etc., full basement, chimney vented.
hot water baseboard.
2 guys and one lady who likes her showers.
I'm thinking I have three basic options as I'm staying with oil
#1 replace with basic HE rated, "unknown brand" (any recommendations are appreciated) cast iron boiler/tankless setup.
#2 buderus g115 and an indirect tank setup.
#3 buderus g115 and going with a standalone hybrid (rheem )water heater, less than 1000$ with rebate.
I know I would have to supplement heat in the basement in the winter with the hybrid and would probably go with a Modine type unit. Which might make the basement shop more comfy.
My chief concerns are adequate DHW even using priority zone control, as well as ease of service and reliability.
I'm just concerned about overspending without any payoff in efficiency.
Any deas or recommendations would be appreciated,
Thanks,
Argus

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    Please do a heat loss to get the correct size boiler (you can download the Slant Finn app. Personally I would go with a Weil Mclain (or Williamson-same boiler it's made by Weil Mclain) probably a 3 section. Good basic equipment that any decent oil burner tech can work on, nothing fancy, available parts, and a proven track record. Any of the other boilers are ok, Smith, Slantfinn, Peerless, Utica. I am not a Burnham fan buts that's just my opinion.

In this case the installer (that knows what he's doing) is more important than the brand of equipment.
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,113
    Options
    sorry to be different but i would go with the buderus with a indirect .The buderus is a 3 pass boiler better eff and a breeze to clean .Have them set it up with a seperate pump with priority for your domestic hot water with a mixing valve and you shouldn t have any hot water issues .If i was burning oil i wouldn t be looking a single pass boilers not with oil prices and no matter what unit you have installed have your chimney checked for it may have to be lined .As for modine fan unit for the base i had one and got rid of to noisey sold ti to a friend who wanted it now he say that damn thing is noisey.Peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • wogpa67
    wogpa67 Member Posts: 238
    Options
    I agree with getting a heat loss done. I would go with a 3 pass and an indirect. Biasi makes a nice boiler which you can get with a beckett, carlin or riello oil burner. And they are right in Quincy Mass.

The heat pump water heaters will end up causing you to burn more oil to reheat the space it's stealing the heat from.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,545
    Options
    I have no problem with Buderus or Biasi or anything else. Like my old man said "buy a Ford or a Chevy" the gas station at the end of the street can fix it. If I was out on the Cape with only a couple of supply houses and who knows who is available to work on it I may be less inclined to worry about a couple of efficiency points. That's all I was trying to say. Got an installer out there that knows what he's doing on the other equipment.....go for it
  • wogpa67
    wogpa67 Member Posts: 238
    Options
    Totally agree with you.
    The 3 pass are easier to service.
    Get it with the Beckett, parts are everywhere.
    And you get a little better efficiency.

Ot did you look at the Roth manual?.

• arguscanis
    arguscanis Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks guys , pretty much what I was thinking. Especially as to installers/service techs mastery of certain units. Heat loss scheduled but I have installers scheduled in the interim. As for the basement I guess I'll have em set up another zone at install and I'll start hoarding material for a loop in the basement.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I've had basement workshops in every house (4) I ever built. I never had any additional heat, and was never cold, or too hot. I lived in the Cape Cod area my whole life.

The fact that you need heat in a basement to keep it from being cold and the pipes freezing is a fantasy. Unheated, the cellar floor is probably 55 degrees. The walls are above freezing from the frost line down in January. They are only the OAT from ground up. That's physics.

Pin boilers aren't popular because too many are too lazy to clean them properly. And many don't do that great of a job cleaning triple pass boilers either. Most are just B, S & B jobs anyway. with a small emphasis of the last "B", Buff.
  • AlCorelliNY
    AlCorelliNY Member Posts: 63
    Options
    Buderus Riello, HTP SuperStor.
    Probably the most trouble free setup out there. Just find someone who knows what they are doing to install it correctly.

Riello burners, when setup correctly, are super trouble free.
    Al Corelli

• hydro617
    hydro617 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Get a buderus blue flame ...super efficient boiler with a super stor indirect on priority
  • hydro617
    hydro617 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    But not to many people know how to work on them so buyer beware
    icesailor
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    How about a System 2000? Link is on here. 3 pass my choice is Pensotti over the blue boiler any day. Next would be EK
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    My preference but realistically,not a tremendous difference between any of the triple pass oil boilers.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    excellent work as usual Robert
    Robert O'Brien