Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Weil-Mclain P466 Service Life

Options
IBS_Guy
IBS_Guy Member Posts: 19
Without putting anybody on the spot....
What would be considered a reasonable service life for this boiler in a hot water heat with domestic coil application?

Comments

• EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,543
    Options
    P466 not the best boiler like everything else it probably won't last 50-100 years like the big old boilers used to. Maybe 30 or more years if well cared for. How old is it now?? They haven't been made for quite a while. I can remember installing those in the mid-late 70s
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Passed it already!
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 15,543
    Options
    Guess I'm older than I thought, can't even add
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    The *66 boilers came out in the early 1970's to replace the *62 series. *62's had machined nipples between the sections, and *66, *68 and all subsequent boilers have the Elastomeric gaskets. *66's and *68's are so similar that many never noticed the change. *68's were discontinued in the early 1990's when the WGO's were introduced. I think that *66's were phased out between 1975 and 1980.

What usually kills them is the leaking tankless heater gasket. If the gasket isn't leaking, and it runs well, there is no end to how long they will run. If tested with a Digital Analyzer, and you get high excessive air, the sealants between the sections is probably bad and it's a candidate for replacement. Especially cold start models where the condensate breaks down the sealant on the bottom of the boiler and it isn't practical to repair.

IMO
  • IBS_Guy
    IBS_Guy Member Posts: 19
    Options
    Thanks all. I bought the house in '83 and seem to remember somebody had written 1978 on the boiler. I does indeed leak around the tankless heater if the boiler cools off. I guess I've got a good use for my tax refund now.