Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Repurposed WInchester solid fuel boiler...

Mark Eatherton
Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
If you strip (paid for abatementin this case) the insulation off, and clean it up real good, you can repaint it, connect it to your hydronic heating system, attach a non electric TRV and have an excellent conversation piece that heats your whole open basement very well. This work was done by a single, very determined woman in an 1890's home in Denver.

Thanks for sharing the picture Jim Bob :-)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• wogpa67
    wogpa67 Member Posts: 238
    edited March 2015
    I tried to get one off of an older woman in Philly about 10 years ago. It was still hooked up but not functioning. She wouldn't part with it.
    It was gas fired though.
  • Mark Eatherton
    This was a solid fuel converted to gas as well. These boilers are wider than any normal door, and were placed before the floor joist were set. Virtually impossible to get out of the home without completely breaking into small enough pieces that will fit through the door.

• wogpa67
    wogpa67 Member Posts: 238
    This one was only around 24" wide. If I ever go back I'm going to try and get it again. I would love to have it.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    edited March 2015
    I have something similar-an Idearl, and it is assembled from horizontal sections, each of which, I am sure, was lugged down the stairway as the building was built, at the later stages of completion.
    I think the contractors at that time would have chosen a boiler, (for payment/time reasons) whose sections could fit into the entrances of the building, and be assembled at the time of need.--NBC
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,133
    Pretty cool i have also seem this done only difference is that it was still hooked to a chimney and drafting and also would not part w it.On the other hand i have had to break them down and that top section is a total bear we ended up rolling up planks to get it out .It was quite a job and never forgetten .Thanks for sharing peace and good luckl clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,764
    Question, could duct work be hooked up to the old chimney connection and a blower or even just a simple fan installed and distribute the heat even further? Just a thought. That is a very cool errr warm idea!
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Mark Eatherton
    It could be, but then it would be a convective heater and not a radiant heater as it is now. :wink: It would also be a lot noisier.

ME

• KC_Jones

It could be, but then it would be a convective heater and not a radiant heater as it is now. :wink: It would also be a lot noisier.

ME

lol I didn't say it was a good idea, was just curious. Actually what made me think about it was the Heatilator fireplace my parents have in their basement that uses fans to pump air around the firebox.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    Mark Eatherton
  • RobG
    RobG Member Posts: 1,850
    KC_Jones said:

ME

lol I didn't say it was a good idea, was just curious. Actually what made me think about it was the Heatilator fireplace my parents have in their basement that uses fans to pump air around the firebox.
    And would YOU want to be responsible for the 100 years of soot that would be swirled about? :)
  • KC_Jones
    Well I would hope as nicely cleaned up as it is they cleaned the inside as well...if it was my house I would have. I would have probably painted the inside of it as well...but I am a bit obsessive like that. If you didn't notice I had custom flame job put on the front cover of my boiler. It also has rope lighting running around the inside of the front. Makes it nice to see in there as well. lol
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    vaporvac
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    I need to see a pic of that rope lighting, @KC_Jones !
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 16,122
    vaporvac said:

No you don't.
    Don't get him started. :p
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    vaporvac
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    I know! I'm a bit jealous of that paint job as only my controls are really visible. There's no place for me to have that :(, but rope lighting I could do! :wink:
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
    ChrisJ
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Oooh my God, people
    ChrisJvaporvac
  • KC_Jones
    ChrisJ said:

vaporvac said:

No you don't.

Should we talk about pressure instead @ChrisJ ?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    ChrisJvaporvac
  • ChrisJ
    edited March 2015
    KC_Jones said:

ChrisJ said:

vaporvac said:

No you don't.

I'd love to!
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • ChrisJ
    vaporvac said:

I know! I'm a bit jealous of that paint job as only my controls are really visible. There's no place for me to have that :(, but rope lighting I could do! :wink:

If I had two boilers I would install a zero center Magnehelic connected to both so it would show the pressure difference between the two. Mount that bad boy right by the thermostat.
    vaporvac
  • Fred
    KC_Jones said:

ChrisJ said:

vaporvac said:

No you don't.

What Pressure?
    KC_JonesChrisJvaporvac
  • Fred
    Just Kidding @Chrisj :)
    ChrisJ
  • NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    Thanks for the photo Mark. Talk about buffer capacity! Throw that on the return loop of a condensing boiler for extra condensate.

Moe
    :NYplumber:
  • Mark Eatherton
    It is on a condenser. Thanks Moe. She originally wanted the boiler out of her basement, but I talked her into salvaging it. She eventually will put a flickering red/orange light inside the combustion chamber to make it look like there's a fire inside. Craft woman. Did most of the work herself, including wrestling cast iron radiators up 2 floors.

ChrisJ
  • NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    Mark, if she ever wants it gone in one piece I would swing by and take it off her hands. Those old guys are hard to come by. I had a downfired steam snowman boiler in my home I rented two years back. System drank $500 a week in oil. It would be nice to get back at the old beast by hooking her up to my current hydronic system.
    :NYplumber: