Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Searching for HB Smith 18 - series information

SBW
SBW Member Posts: 3
Hi all,
I'm looking for the capacities on the HB Smith 18-S-5. Does anyone have that?

A search of this site showed that someone posted the information on the Oil Tech Talk board in 2004, but a search on that site does not bring it up.

Thanks for your help.

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Are you sure that it's 18, and not 8 or 19?
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,064
    I don't remember a 18 either??
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Maybe if you tell us the purpose of the information, we can think of another method.
    The output could always be calculated from the fuel consumption, and nozzle size, or if gas, then clocking the meter would give the BTU's used.
    If you are sizing for a replacement boiler, then there are more scientific ways, which will not repeat an earlier mistake.--NBC
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    I seem to remember a Series 18, but those were replaced by the Series 19 maybe 25 years ago or more... My memory isn't that good. I think they were quite similiar. You might want to give a call to your local HB Smith sales rep or distributor. They might have some info.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,491
    A picture of the boiler would help a lot.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    If you are looking for the size of the old boiler as a way to size a new boiler, then that is not the way to do it. The old boiler may not have been well chosen. The new steam boiler should be sized by adding up the EDR of all the radiators, and choosing a new boiler whose EDR matches that total.--NBC
  • SBW
    SBW Member Posts: 3
    Thanks all. I found a supply house that had the cutsheet. I've attached it here, for reference.

The 18-series is the same dimensions and waterline as the 19-series, but note the major difference in rated outputs.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Smith had a boiler with a red jacket that had no name plate anywhere on it.

Smith must have been so ashamed of it that they wouldn't even attach their name to it. The best you can do is count the sections.