Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

PUMPING AWAY QUESTION

Tom Elam
Tom Elam Member Posts: 57
Greetings,

I have read the book Pumping Away and understand the concept and agree with it. I piped the boiler in my home that way with a Spirovent Jr and have no air issues anymore.

However in Caleffi's Idronics Tech Magazine Issue 2 page 23 of 36 they have a diagram that shows three possible locations for the Expansion Tank and Water Pressure Regulator. The air removal is on the hot water outlet of the boiler between the boiler and the suction side of the circulator. Their "ideal" location for the Expansion Tank and Water Pressure Regulator on the cold water return to the boiler. The "OK" location for the Expansion Tank and Water Pressure Regulator at the air removal device. The "never" location is on the discharge side of the circulator.

Has Caleffi got he "ideal and OK" locations backwards or has someone discovered a better way to remove air from the system?

Comments

• Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,422
    There doing it right it's all about you get more micro bubbles out when the heat is at its highest and the water flow is at its slowest.
  • Tom Elam
    Tom Elam Member Posts: 57
    Thanks Snowmelt,

I am considering using a Spirovent VDR for my air and dirt removal. This will move the expansion tank and pressure regulator away from the air removal so I won't need a separate dirt trap.