Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hard to find Boiler Men around Detroit?

Options
My grandfather was the Detroit area Steam guru. When a company couldn't figure something out - call Ernest. The desire for knowledge in my family goes generations back. My Father built a strong htg & clg company by keeping it at 4 servicemen and 2 install crews. To Dad’s benefit, his company’s success was from the late 70’s and early 80’s when the Detroit area was getting a massive natural gas line upgrade; people were changing out their, still working, oil furnaces & boilers for the lower operating cost of a gas furnace or boiler.
My competition in this northern Detroit area is unfortunately passive in their work and knowledge; but I offer this as a reason for their passiveness. As everyone knows, Detroit is known as the Auto Capital of the world. At one time its manufacturing might could not be matched. After WWII, the returning solders could only find jobs at the auto companies and subsidiary companies. Most of these jobs were mundane - the assembly line, machine operator, etc... These jobs created an atmosphere/behavior of passiveness throughout the communities around the Detroit area, and that was then passed down to their kids. As manufacturing diminished throughout the last 4 decades the offspring’s had to branch out to other types of jobs such as Htg & Clg, plumbing, electrical, carpenter, painter, well you get the idea. The passive way of thinking got imbedded into today’s technician’s way back when they were still in diapers. I was lucky, just like my Father; not one single person, on dad’s side, was connected with the Auto Companies at all. My Mothers / Father was a muscle man for the UAW and later became a speaker. Well, there you go guys; I believe this is why it’s hard to find a good steam man in the Detroit area, and why my competition beats me up on price and getting the job done quicker. Passive Customers - are drawn to - Passive Services; it's a mind-set. That’s not to say there are not good heating guys out there, there are; I've worked beside some of them, and a few were better than me.

Comments

• jimnmari
    jimnmari Member Posts: 1
    Options
    How do I get in touch with you?

Sorry, I cannot see your contact info

Jim