Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Live steam from the condensate return

Howdy, I am the new maintenance guy at a 58 year old school building in Pennsylvania and am slowly educating myself about steam heating and controls, fascinating! Today the fire company showed up due to a heat sensor in the boiler room. The Admin onsite said the room was "full of steam" so they shut the boilers down. When I arrived and fired them up there was nothing unusual going on other than the excessive steam coming back through the condensate return which has been getting worse the past two months, of course it has been very cold during this time as well. If I understand how the system works, the only reason I should get live steam in the condensate return would be due to steam traps failing open? Is that a true statement?

I have replaced a few cages in classrooms that had water hammer or coils that would not stay hot and solved those issues, but there are a hell of a lot of traps in this building. There was a trap survey done in 2007 indicating a boatload of failing traps but it appears nothing was done about it or if there was, there are no records.

What else should I look for ?

Thanks troops,
Mike

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    You can get a lot of useful info with a cheap IR gun. A pipe temperature before and after a trap that is the same= a failed trap. Gotta start somewhere. What are you running for pressure on the boiler?
    naildriver61
  • fixitguys
    fixitguys Member Posts: 6
    They typically run at 5 pounds. Thanks for answering!
  • Paul48
    No matter what it costs to get the traps fixed, you will save money in the long run by being able to get that pressure down under a pound. You're not using the steam for process, just heating right?
  • fixitguys
    Exactly. Heating only. So do you agree there should be no other reason, than failed traps, for steam in the condensate return?
    Thanks Paul
  • Paul48
    Yes......You need a steam pro in there. You might as well be standing in the boiler room burning $20 bills. Where in PA are you?
  • Paul48
    At 5psi it's a lot higher than 212 deg, and that's the wasted fuel
  • fixitguys
    Paul: Phila suburbs. Ed: Thank you, I have been tracking city water use and of course that is up and the chem use is up as well. Traps it shall be! Thanks guys
  • fixitguys
    Thanks a lot gentlemen!
  • sreja
    sreja Member Posts: 175
    As has been said earlier: It's all about traps if you are getting steam in the return line.

But here's a tip from my own experience with a large building -- it's not just the radiator traps that are obviously visible. There may be larger end-of-main traps that are in non-obvious places that you need to worry about.

In our 12 unit building, even the plumbing pros missed a couple of large end-of-main traps that were slightly hidden and out of site. only when those were fixed did we eliminate steam in the return line.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I had the same thing in a school with steam in the boiler room. The maintenance man's solution was putting box fans to blow it out of the room.
    Steam was coming out of the cond pump vent and also an air vent. There was an end of steam main in a pipe tunnel that had been walled over. Cut the wall open found the trap passing steam with leaking return pipe also . All original parts.
    All the traps were original to 1955 and the only saving grace was orifices had been installed in the supply valves. All the traps were changed and new downsized orifices installed.
    Pressure lowered from 5 PSI to as low as control could go, about 2.5 PSI. Why was 5 PSI used for 40 years??....because that is what someone told the maintenance man it should be and who would argue with someone from a boiler company that is 200 miles away? Eliminated some leaks with this step alone.
    If low pressure is maintained it may be possible to install orifices in the hand valve unions for less than 20% of the cost of new traps. This is not for all forms of radiation.
    I have also done this on a small residential system that has no traps at all and the owner is reporting good results.
    Search this site for "Henry Gifford-Energy Savings in a Two pipe steam system". I went with his guide lines. But first you need to find the lowest steam pressure that the system will perform at. You drill the orifices depending upon EDR and pressure applied. You can always increase the orifice size but I'm thinking one trip around the building would be enough work.
    My school project (1660 EDR with 2 X oversized 1,000,000 BTUH boiler) is I am sure is pretty small potatoes compared to what you have.
    This is only for the radiation and your end of main traps still need fixing (probably).
  • fixitguys
    Looks like I'm in for a trip to the crawlspace. "End of Main" traps, I assume, are the F&T traps at the very end of the main steam runs? And these failing can cause steam in the return? I seriously doubt these have been touched in 58 years. Had the blueprints out today and there are 8 of those. There are also a number of F&T traps somewhat midway on the longer main runs.
  • JUGHNE
    If your building is 2 or more floors tall, then the steam main risers would probably have F & T traps at their base. I found one hiding in a records closet that was always locked. Or hanging heaters, say in a shop, would have a trap on that riser somewhere.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    If your water use goes down to zero, you can forgo all the chemicals, whose concentration must be building up over time.
    You could buy a number of trap repair kits for the barrels of chemicals.
    High pressure equals a more acidic mix, with condensate grooving as a result.
    Sometimes, "better living through chemistry", is only for the chemical sales department!--NBC
  • Pumpguy
    Pumpguy Member Posts: 645
    Keep in mind that the lower the steam supply pressure, the lower will be the mass of steam that leaks past bad traps. This alone will mean less steam in the return lines.

Now, if you had vacuum pumps on your return lines, you could lower the steam supply pressure even more. The lowered pressure (i.e. vacuum) in the return lines will make up for the lowered steam supply pressure by increasing the overall pressure differential through the system and across the traps.
    Dennis Pataki. Former Service Manager and Heating Pump Product Manager for Nash Engineering Company. Phone: 1-888 853 9963

The first step in solving any problem is TO IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM.
  • JUGHNE
    Have anyone heard anymore from this poster? It seemed like an interesting project with easy hanging fruit that would have made a lot of difference for this school.
    MilanD