Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Kneepads

stanzygo
stanzygo Member Posts: 10
I'm sure there's a bunch of people in here who wear them. Recently during an installation I felt a pop in my knee and hasn't been right sense. Yes getting it checked out but eventually I will have to go back to work and do the same thing. I was wondering if any of you who wear them can recommend me a good pair that you trust and would buy again and again. While I am young I need to take care of my body now( that's what the old timers keep telling me and I say what do you know but anyway ha!) Any input would be great. Thanks!!

Comments

• RJMCTAFO
    RJMCTAFO Member Posts: 113
    edited March 2015
    It's an expensive up front cost but I have worn Blaklader work pants for a long time. Put the knee pad in the pants. They are comfortable enough to wear with the pad in all day. I preferred a pant that goes by Skillerz brand but couldn't locate them easily.

These pants will last you 5 or more years.

http://www.acetoolonline.com/Brawny-Pant-w-o-Utility-Pockets-Navy-p/bla-1670132083004032.htm
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,462
    Good that you wear something. I know that a lot of your guys don't and later wish they had.
    Thing that I notice is that most tend to wear out fast in the cushioning dept.
    I actually use a kneeling pad that is about 2" think and that lasts a lot longer.
    The kneepads also tended to put stress on the knee joint because the strap would get into the crook of my knee.
    RobG
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Duluth Trading has similar, they seem pricey, but will outlast 3 or 4 normal pairs of pants. The stuff wears like iron, and lasts forever.
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    edited March 2015
    I never starting wearing knee pads until the damage was already done. Same goes for ear, eye, and hand protection. The folly of youth. I thought I was indestructible. 9 surgeries or so later, I know better. My favorite knee pads are Craftsmen. Velcro wrap, very comfortable. Tim, my apprentice, wears it all. I make him.
    Steve Minnich
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,787
    I went full circle on knee pads and ended up back with the leather covered felt. Plastic types were too slippery, rubber too hot. Once the leather breaks in the fit and flex nicely.

I have a pair of the Duluth pants also, handy, but not quite as thick and comfortable as quality knee pads.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,787
    Those kneeling pads that you buy at garden centers are really handy also. No need to walk around in knee pads all day if you keep a few of those on the truck.

Also those small roller dollies are helpful, the type mechanics us. better than kneeling or squatting when you are working down low.

I bought one of the large wheel garden roll boxes for doing crawl space staple up. Keep all the tools, fasteners, and snacks in the box with you.

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Mark Eatherton
  • EBEBRATT-Ed
    EBEBRATT-Ed Member Posts: 16,064
    Dr. told me years ago "what do you do for a living" I told him he said "we get you guys in here all the time" He said the worst thing you can do is squat down and twist like reaching for a tool.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    One of my tile guys has a set of these. Clunky, but if you actually have to spend hours working on your knees, they are awesome.
  • Steve_210
    Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
    I think for Tilers kneepads are probably best.
    Plumbers and heating guys in my opinion pants with the built in
    Are the only way to go.
    There are a lot of different ones out there
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    I hate using kneepads. I've tried just about every kind there is. I've torn thru the knees on a lot of pants and my knees are making all sorts of cracking/popping/squeaking noises now. If i do use something, it'll be a kneeling pad. I ran across an old couch that someone had thrown out, took the cushions and cut them into rectangles. Those were some of the best kneeling pads I have ever used.
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    These are what I use, by far the most comfortable kneepads I have ever had.

http://www.troxellusa.com/Product/EN-US/Category.aspx?cid=33&cn=Knee+Pads&d=s
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited March 2015
    Opinions on Kneepads are like a certain body part. Everyone has one.

I've worn knee pads every day since the early 1980's when an employee was crawling under a house and drove a nail under his kneecap. I bought knee pads for all.

I am a Pediatric Cancer Survivor and have only one bone in my lower right leg to just above my ankle. I've had walking and right knee issues my whole life. I tried all kinds of knee pads. A LOT. I found this one which I not only found the best and easiest to wear, it was cheap. When I got in the truck on the AM, I put them on. When I went home at night, I took them off. I bought them 3 at a time. I always had two sets at home and spares in the truck. IMO, knee pads should be easy to put on and comfortable to wear. These have a big wide elastic Velcro strap that that doesn't cut into the back of the knee.

The hard shell ones had a tendency of flipping my knee cap, and being painful. They were also uncomfortable to wear. When I did gardening, I wore them. When I was icesailing or soft water sailing, I wore them. Retired, I have three sets in Florida for immediate use. If I have to do ANYTHING that requires I get on my knees, I wear them. My Bionic Wife has two knee replacements and a hip. The best part of me is my knees.

If I saw you on a job, kneeling bare knee doing something, I probably might give you grief about the sympathetic pains you were giving me knowing how uncomfortable you must be.

There are benefits that aren't mentioned by wearing them. Like saving your back because you don't get up and down as often.

I always said to those that thought if funny that I wore them, "I wear shoes on my feet, and shoes on my knees.

http://www.amazon.com/Custom-Leathercraft-V310-Kneepads-Fastener/dp/B000FPCMHE/ref=sr_1_13?ie=UTF8&qid=1425915830&sr=8-13&keywords=custom+leather+knee+pads
  • stanzygo
    stanzygo Member Posts: 10
    Thanks everyone for your inputs. I've read everything and checked out many products. I'd love a kneeling pad if I was doing service work but I do a lot of install. Seems that mainly the duct work jobs are the worse. A knelling pad wouldn't help me to much in the summer for those darn attic jobs( ehh can't wait for those hot days) so I kinda was gearing towards knee pads for the all around job. I had a pair of knee pads my boss had laying around and they cut the backs of my knees up. But I've gotten so many responses and projects that I will be looking forward to trying.