Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Point of use hot water

Snowmelt
Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,422
Anyone have a favorite of point of use under sink 120 volt hot water 2-4 gallon for a few bathrooms that are far runs?

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Yes, a brand new favorite. HeatWorks is redefining the whole category IMO. One SKU covers 120V, 208V, 240V, and 277V with breaker sizes of 15A through 60A. No real storage, but also no flow switch. Cv is 1.0, so it can flow far more than a typical electric tankless. We will be marketing them primarily to pair with solar and for remote baths like you described.
  • wogpa67
    wogpa67 Member Posts: 238
    Interesting only watched the vid. Could these do 2-3 hand sinks for a Dr office? Seems so. Do they stage the elements?
  • SWEI
    Depends on flow and rise, as per usual. 11.5 KW max, but actual output will depend on what you have available there.

No staging needed. Full modulation from zero up to whatever current limit you set it for. No minimum rise, no minimum flow rate. Large area conductive carbon fiber heating plates have an order of magnitude less ΔT to the water than a ni-chrome element does (and lime scale doesn't adhere well to them in any case.)
  • Gordan
    Gordan Member Posts: 891
    Interesting. I wonder how dependent on local water chemistry this would be. I also wonder how well it would survive an overvoltage event and such, compared to the dumb but robust immersion resistive elements.
  • SWEI
    I'll report back once we have a year or two on them in the field. I have several on wells and a couple on city water so far.

Pretty much all of the electric tankless units now have TRIAC controls -- and are therefore subject to surge damage. These have a bit more electronics than most, but the power supply design should actually handle mild overvoltage somewhat better than a dumb chopper will.
  • Hilly
    Hilly Member Posts: 428
    SWEI are you pretty happy with this so far? Have you used multiple units at any point to completely eliminate a tank type water heater? I think from you statement you're saying you have used them as the sole source of DHW. If so how many units for one house (I know it varies on demand) Do you have any pictures of any installs? I'm intrigued.
  • SWEI
    We are using them as post heat for solar only at this point. Single units so far, and still testing. One of those customers will probably install a second one in parallel (so he can fill his soaker tub at 5 GPM instead of throttling it back and waiting.) I have another customer with a very similar setup that we prewired for two of them last summer. We are looking at 3 or 4 of them for distributed installation in a large house.

On a per-BTU basis, electricity costs ~6x what natural does around here. We're targeting people on LPG first...