Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to Cut Glass Boiler Guage

Options
STvex
STvex Member Posts: 71
Hi, I have a weil eg45 Steam boiler. I need to cut the glass tube from 12 inches to 7. I bought the following cutter,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1PC-Glass-Plastic-Tubing-Tube-Pipe-Cutter-Cutting-Max-Diameter-60mm-6cm-2-4-/311248376029?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4877d950dd

I can make a score line but it wont break. Is there a way to break glass without actually cracking it? Am i using the wrong cutter? Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• michaelb0315
    michaelb0315 Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Put a little bit of heat over the score mark...it will break nice and easily. :) I use my torch.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,695
    Options

Sorry, but I just can't resist..........

Why would you need to cut the glass down to seven inches?

Probably because it doesn't fit? ;)

Let us know how this goes because I had planned on buying the same cutter in case I break my gauge glass. Sooner or later it's bound to happen with me.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
    icesailor
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    It's so much easier to go to a local supply house and have them cut the length you need. If they break a half dozen before they get one right, you still pay for just one. (Only problem is the price of the good one is six times the price they originally quoted you) :)
  • Larry_52
    Larry_52 Member Posts: 182
    Options
    You need to use OIL on the score mark. Any lubricating oil will help.
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,695
    Options

ChrisJ said:

Sorry, but I just can't resist..........

Why would you need to cut the glass down to seven inches?

Probably because it doesn't fit? ;)

Let us know how this goes because I had planned on buying the same cutter in case I break my gauge glass. Sooner or later it's bound to happen with me.
    I got that.

But, isn't is possible to just purchase the proper replacement part? I need to consider this as well.
    No idea,
    The only ones Supplyhouse.com have are too large. Seemed easy enough to buy long ones and cut them when needed.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Larry_52
    Larry_52 Member Posts: 182
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Also if you want a gauge glass cutter that works better buy a squeeze and pop cutter or wheeler-Rex. Still need the oil too.

I used to use a grinding wheel to nick the glass and snap it to length, got pretty good at that while back. Don't recommend it.

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    Oil? strange, I was always told by a glass guy that the glass needs to be completely clean of any residue especially oil because it'll interfere with the cutter. I always wipe the gauge glass down with paint thinner before cutting. Never have a problem.
  • STvex
    STvex Member Posts: 71
    Options
    The plumbing supply stores and big box stores only carry 12 inch tubes, not 7 inches. I don't have a blow torch but I will try the kitchen stove. Should I put oil first then burn it? Do you guys use a lot of force to break it?

I wouldn't recommend the cutter i highlighted. The wheel doesn't feel that sharp and the wheel wobbles a little so its hard to get a perfect circle score.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Interesting. I remember seeing glass guys (in the shop) who kept their cutters in a baby food jar with kerosene in it.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    FWIW, I needed one. I don't buy junk, even for a one time use,

An old time counter guy recommended this one. He said that this one was the one that all the old maintenance guys in the Mills used and used them for years.

http://www.ernstflow.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/EFICatalogB11.pdf

Page 19 in this catalog.
    EFI 734/690Q19. No oil, no BS. Lust like using a chain cutter on soil pipe.

They also sell any kind of gauge glass materials you ever need.

Worked perfect the first time.

FWIW
  • JeffM
    JeffM Member Posts: 182
    Options
    When I ran into this situation last summer replacing the gauge glass in my home boiler, I found that the diamond grit wheel in my tile cutting saw did a nice job cutting the glass.
  • ww
    ww Member Posts: 282
    Options
    once you score the glass just put your gloves on if you haven't done and just push away from you with two thumbs while holding in your hands and break it. You can even tap it too.

You seem to have no problem scoring it so breaking it is easy.
    I've done it this way and it works.

If it doesn't work for you go to home depot and get another piece and ask plumbing department to help you.