Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water leaking from boiler collector cover plate

Options
freerideskier
freerideskier Member Posts: 5
Hey guys - I have an oil Peerless forced hot water boiler (installed 2010) and water seems to be coming out from underneath. I took off the top jacket panel and it seems to be leaking from around the fiberglass gasket around the flue collector cover plate. Everything is dried up so i'm not sure when it was originally leaking but I noticed a rust stain on the basement floor where about a quart of water leaked out. I'm having my yearly cleaning in two weeks and will ask them to take a look at it or should I have someone come out ASAP? (Peerless Model: WBV-03-WPCL) Thanks.

Comments

• billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    looks like you have a water leak above, perhaps a hivent?
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,505
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Are you sure its water from the boiler and not condensation from the flue/chimney? Can you show us a pic of the flue pipe?
    The gasket looks brand new (replaced last cleaning?)
    Maybe you had some rain/snow wash down the chimney.
    Edit: On second thought/look is the flue connected in the back, or just sitting there?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• billtwocase
    Options
    It's rear flue Steve
  • billtwocase
    Options
    I wouldn't think its a section leak. I would like to see the near boiler supply. Usually there is a tapping for a hivent right next to it on top
  • freerideskier
    Options
    Here are a couple more pics. Hopefully they give the angle you're looking for. Water or possibly condensation appears to be on front side of unit opposite to the stack(There are no water stains on the floor on the backside of unit. We have had a lot of snow here in New England recently so water/snow down the pipe could be a possibility? The unit has a dedicated galvanized/stainless steel exhaust straight out the roof.
  • freerideskier
    Options
    Also water pressure gauge is at around 19 PSI.
  • billtwocase
    Options
    The smoke pipe shows no sign of water coming down. Take a pick of the top of the boiler, mainly the supply pipe, and above the boiler
  • freerideskier
    Options
    Already put top panel back on but snapped a few more.
  • freerideskier
    Options
    Also curious about opinion with having the copper oil supply line buried in concrete. Heard it could be an issue?