Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Steam Boiler Install - Black Liquid in Gauge Glass

Options
Just had a Weil McLain Eg45 gas steam boiler installed a few days ago. It is working well and heating the house nicely, but we have noticed an odd smell from the radiators. From some limited research, I understand this could be caused by oil in the system, which should have been removed by skimming @ the time of install. I am in the process of following up with the installer to see if skimming was done.

In the meantime, I took a look at the boiler and noticed a black liquid in the bottom of the gauge glass. Photo is attached. I suspect the black liquid is oil. Can anyone confirm? If oil, is this a serious problem and, if so, do I need to have the installer come back to fix? Is the solution skimming the oil out of the boiler?

Thanks for any insight / guidance.

Comments

• paradiseheat
    paradiseheat Member Posts: 7
    Options
    I have attached some additional photos. Is there a skim port on there?

As to the iron - is that a problem in and of itself? Does the boiler need to be drained to get it out of there?
  • paradiseheat
    Options
    I don't know about the vent damper but don't see anything specifically that would lead me to believe there is one - it is my understanding as well that it should be included with this model. Attached are some photos of the setup from the front.

See any other problems? So far sounds like not skimmed and no vent damper, which is confirming my suspicions that there were some things that may not have been done properly.
  • paradiseheat
    Options
    See attached photo. I believe there is a manual feed bypass on on the top of the water feeder, and that should be the loop Fred is referencing. I think?

Assuming the water feed is ok, sounds like what we need to do is have a skim port installed and drain and skim - maybe 2-3x, and that should hopefully mitigate both the odor and the iron showing up in the gauge glass. Then also ask to have a damper installed, which comes with this model and should have been installed in the first place. Am I understanding correctly?
  • paradiseheat
    Options
    Thank you all. Very helpful. I will look into getting a skim port installed so we can skim & take into account the other venting and electrical code issues raised.

I think my biggest concern is the vent damper, as it sounds like it should have been included, and was not. Does anyone see anything to suggest it was installed? If not, I will get in touch with my installer about this.
  • paradiseheat
    Options
    Great. Thank you very much. Very helpful. I will chat with my installer.
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    I can’t
    vaporvac said:

Also, concerning the venting. The damper will probably need a spill switch. This is code in my area, but wasn't included with my boiler. The manufacturer should be able to tell you which you need if you need one. Call their tech line. This shutz down the boiler in case the flue gets blocked so you don't die of co poisoning.

The spill sw. has to be there,it is attached to the vent hood..It really has nothing to do with the vent dampener….
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    Fred said:

Yes, The Hartford loop is there and looks good too. Do investigate how the boiler and water heater flue are tied together and, if necessary, have them seperate them and vent them seperately into the chimney. other than that it looks pretty good.

They can be common vented, however smaller over the larger is per nfpa..That venting looks suspect….Does the chimney meet the 7x rule, and was it sized properly….How big is the basement? do you have enough make up air…H/o take a look under the vent hood you should see two wires attached to a small silver coin size device, that is your spill sw….There is a small resettable push button that resets it, should it go off…Should that happen first find out the cause….Start with a draft test, The vent dampener is for stand by loss up the chimney….They have in the past cost many of no boiler starts….the wiring harness had issues….When you turn your t/stst up the first mechanical device to move is the vend dampener, indicated by a horizontal or hinge pin with a flat on it it should go inline with the vent dampener…If you don’t have one installed its been jumped out….Hopefully that new boiler is as new as it should be…How did the inspection go?
  • paradiseheat
    Options
    All-

I have raised these issuesc with my installer and gotten no response. The gauge glass issue is getting worse. See attached photo. More black sediment at the bottom and what looks like a lot of staining / oil at the top.

Is this a safety issue? Is the boiler being damaged by this? Should I get someone else out to take a look & fix issues imminently if we can't get the installer back out to fix? I don't want to create a safety hazard or long term damage.

Thanks.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    It's not a safety issue but it will wreak havoc with the operation of the boiler and it's ability to produce dry steam effeciently. It must be drained, flushed out and skimmed, in that order, to get all the crud out of the boiler. Required of all new boiler installations.
  • vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    j a said:

I can’t

vaporvac said:

Also, concerning the venting. The damper will probably need a spill switch. This is code in my area, but wasn't included with my boiler. The manufacturer should be able to tell you which you need if you need one. Call their tech line. This shutz down the boiler in case the flue gets blocked so you don't die of co poisoning.

The spill sw. has to be there,it is attached to the vent hood..It really has nothing to do with the vent dampener….
    Hope I didn't create confusion. My spill switch is directly under my double barometric draft, so it's visible. There's no other place for it to go. That's why I'm just a HO with a little knowledge I've learned here and you're a pro! :neutral:
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • hydro617
    hydro617 Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Black water on a new install is normal be cause of the oils inside the boiler. But the hack.errrr installer should've skimmed it