Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Adding 4 Zones to a 1 Zone system

Options
Hello!

I recently purchased a 1,500 square foot raised ranch home with an unfinished basement. There is currently only 1 heating zone for the entire house and no zone in the basement. The furnace had 2 Circulator pumps attached with one of them capped off.

I want to split the first floor into two zones and add two zones in the basement area. I created this picture of my thoughts of how to complete this project any suggestions would be appreciated.

http://i.imgur.com/WXDtfhh.png

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    Splitting that into 4 zones will likely be a disaster, the fuel savings will probably be zero. For it to work well the boiler should be able to modulate down to the lowest load it can see.

Better to find and fix all air filtration and add isulation where it needs it.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    icesailor
  • lookingforheathelp
    Options
    I am not looking for fuel savings I already heat 90% of the living area with a pellet stove. I am splitting the zone to cover the 10% at the far end of the house so I don't have to heat the already heated area to keep a small section warm. I plan to have a similar setup in the basement. I imagine only 1-2 of the zones would call for heat unless the pellet stoves are off.

Other than fuel savings is there any reason this design wouldn't work?
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    "" Other than fuel savings is there any reason this design wouldn't work? ""

A lot but you've made up your mind.

I live in a 1,400 sq. ft Condo. I can't imagine installing hot water heat and converting it into 4 zones. You can buy a bigger and better pellet stove for what the material for the 4 zones will cost.

Put your money first into insulation and weather stripping. There's a quicker pay back.