Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Removing/Changing Air Vents

Hi All,
I have a few questions regarding Air Vents:
1. A few of my air vents feel very tight, is it okay to spray some WD40 on it and let it soak or will I risk it seeping into the radiator then finding it's way down to the boiler?
2. What are rules of thumb on changing air vents?

Thanks all!

Comments

• Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    hwangnyc said:

Hi All,
    I have a few questions regarding Air Vents:
    1. A few of my air vents feel very tight, is it okay to spray some WD40 on it and let it soak or will I risk it seeping into the radiator then finding it's way down to the boiler?
    2. What are rules of thumb on changing air vents?

Thanks all!

No need to use wd-40. Are you removing them to replace them? If so just use a wrench on them. Unless you plan on keeping them.

Vent radiators slow. I prefer to use MOM #4 and #5 on bigger rads. #6 only in special situations.

• hwangnyc
    hwangnyc Member Posts: 18
    Thanks for the response. Is MOM a brand/specific model? If not, what is the best vent out there or are they all the same? What is considered a smaller/bigger radiator?
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Maid-O-Mist aka Jacobus
    I like them because you can adjust them by replacing the orfice.

Smaller/bigger is very subjective and all reference to all the other radiators attached to the boiler. In my mind anything less than 38" high and less then 8-9 sections is "small" and would get a #4 and maybe a #5 if the room need a bit more heat. A 38" high x 16 section radiator is large.
    BVMH