Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Hot water Boiler, open loop system and code

My father in law recently passed and we are looking at selling his house. He was an engineer that designed HVAC systems and designed/installed on in his house. We hired a service company and after their first inspection, they deemed the unit unsafe.

Its a oil fired hot water boiler used for forced air heating of the house. Its an open loop, so instead of an expansion tank, it has tube running to a glass jar mounted above the unit acting as the expansion bottle. the service contractors issue was the it had no expansion tank, no LWCO and No Purge set up( not sure what that means)

the service company wanted to quote an new system.(they refused it even quote repairs/modifications) I know the pushing new sales and I don't trust them, I also know the my father in law may not have built it to code. I called an alternate vendor to quote and he said it was a well designed and maintained system and he would not touch it, but he could not speak to code requirements.

So I'm reaching out for some advise, based on the information above, how would I make sure this boiler is in the right condition relative to code so that I can sell the house?

Thanks

Comments