Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

DIY insulation

dunshee
dunshee Member Posts: 1
edited February 2015 in Strictly Steam
I am having asbestos in crawl removed in 2 weeks (about 150' of pipe). I want to re-insulate immediately (since we are in hard winter in Michigan, and I doubt spring will be here in 2 weeks...)

I insulated the pipes near the boiler some time ago, just using foil backed fiberglass and that silver "FlexFix" tape. Is that reasonable? My internet searches this morning seemed to mostly show pre-formed fiberglass tubes with a tape seal. That seems easier to install, but I'd have to measure all the pipe diameters and lengths before getting the insulation, and they buy it, all of which seems to add a couple of days of time where mostly I'd be heating my crawl...

So, what is pro and con of just cutting sheets of foil back fiberglass and wrapping it around the pipe, and taping with FlexFix foil?

Thanks much,
-dd/
David Dunshee
Chilly Birmingham

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    I am currently insulating my piping with the preformed pipe insulation. My previous boiler I had used some insulation that I had to wrap and tape like you are talking about. First I can tell you the preformed stuff is much easier and quicker to install. It also insulates the pipes much better than the other stuff. I am not sure why you think measuring would add days to the job? I measured my entire system with my 7 year old in about 30 minutes. The pre formed is more money, but it's pretty much superior in every way you look at it. Having done both at this point I can't think of a single advantage to using the wrap type product.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • bmwpowere36m3
    bmwpowere36m3 Member Posts: 512
    Maybe a better question is why are you doing this now... and not in the spring.
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,042
    I never have good memories of working in a crawl space. And if there was a way to lessen the time in one I would sure go for it. Plus the "real" insulation will do a much better job than any wrap and tape. A few 3' lengths installed and you will wonder why you considered anything else. Unless your freight charges are really high, you could short order yourself a little. This would get your crawl space less heated than bare pipe will. Then measure up for remaining lengths/sizes needed and fittings which you do last anyway. But it is 2 shipments and not over ordering with left over material.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Is there some reason you couldn't just encapsulate the asbestos in the crawlspace?