Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

leaking water level glass

Options
cmmorris
cmmorris Member Posts: 2
Steam gas furnace leaking site glass at the bottom.I have made sure the level is correct but then closed the bottom of the glass. Is that all right. Someone is coming to fix it in a few days. i replaced it last time and well it only lasted 4 months , cold 4months but 4 months

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    Make sure the gauge cocks are aligned properly, with new washers. Have a couple of spare glass tubes on hand, in case one breaks. A little dishwashing soap on the washers enables them to slide on the glass while reassembling. With a little practice you will be successful (I take mine apart every few weeks, and brush it out).
    Check your LWCO for correct function (make sure the burner goes off, when you activate/drain it), if you are keeping the gauge cocks closed.--NBC
  • JUGHNE
    JUGHNE Member Posts: 11,062
    Options
    Is the glass gasket leaking or the packing on the valve under the glass. If you have had the valve off for a while the sight glass level should drop as it continues to leak. You could just nudge the packing nut tighter that is just behind the handle. Put a back up wrench on the valve body to prevent rotating the valve and cracking the lower portion of the glass. (I know :'( )
    Sometimes the upper steam gasket leaks and the steam condenses and runs down the sight glass and stands on the lower glass nut making it look guilty. You can isolate small leaks with tissue paper to find the actual source of the water leak.
  • cmmorris
    cmmorris Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thanks will try