Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

LP, vaporization system, & negative pressure gas valves

Options
DZoro
DZoro Member Posts: 1,048
Just to set up the scenario. I'm a 25 plus year heating veteran. Will never see it all! Here it goes. Have a Nti TI-150 approx 8 years old. Going through gas valves like water. Have done all the "normal" service to the system including working with head NTI reps. They now are leading me to LP gas distribution system at fault. Gas supplier is bucking really hard saying it's not their fault. But did get them to run methane in the tanks (3- 1000gal), by the way the whole system is running on a vaporizer........ 7 days later another valve gone.... Go there to fix again today and another boiler in the building went down.... Weil Mclain high efficiency......and another valve.... I found a oily yellowish substance in it's gas valve screen, completely coating main solenoid. Gas company still says it's not coming from them. Claiming all kinds of bogus excuses.
Can anyone help me out with LP, sludge, oils.........
How to clean or flush tanks, lines........

Comments

• Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    edited February 2015
    Options
    It's the vaporizer. The heavy ends need to be drained out that's the oily yellowish stuff. Bottom line the vaporizer needs to be cleaned.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • DZoro
    Options
    What do you mean by the heavy ends? They emptied their drip leg at the vaporizer.
  • DZoro
    Options
    Aaron Do you think the lines and regulators will also need cleaning?
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    Options
    The regulators will need to be changed. Usally on a vaporizer there is a separator to keep the heavy ends out of the building. It has been a long time since I have dealt a big system like that I do all residential now. I worked for a LP company and remember cleaning a few vaporizers what a mess. The ones that I worked on had a kettle looking thing that was like a big drip leg with a tap on the bottom to drain it out. Install a big drip leg on your boilers to help out like a 12" nipple if it will fit.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
    DZoro
  • DZoro
    Options
    Thank you!!! I don't have much knowledge on that side of the industry, and this is a BIG help to me!! :)
  • DZoro
    Options
    Any other idea's from anyone?
    LP gas people say that there is nothing wrong with the vaporizer, and their set up.
    Their claiming it's the gas valve & how it is designed into the boiler. Clear my throat,,,, they say that the cold air temperature drop next to the valve is causing Lp gases to condense inside the gas valve because of the design. That is causing the valve failures and not any oil, because they don't have oils in their system.
    I asked if he would like to talk to NTI about that and he said no.

He claims that he can just close the valve to the vaporizer and fully bypass it and the system will be fine? Is this true? P.S. Lp is piped out of the bottom of the tanks. Under my understanding of the system that is full liquid, am I right or not?