Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Advanced air removal webinar

hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,787
Stubborn, reoccurring air issues?

If you have time this Thursday at noon CST tune in to Coffee with Caleffi and learn about air removal in modern hydronics.
We will talk about air, O2 and nitrogen and what the difference is in hydronic systems. Solubility of O2 and nitrogen, why that is important to know.
How does ODR effect air removal? What about high rise buildings, where is the best location for air removal?
Air removal, or air management?

Jody Samuell will draw some analogies to his days as a submariner in the Navy to co-host this presentation.
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    If I can not view this on Thursday live how do I get to watch it later?
    Can you post a link after it is over?
    I work for F W Webb in Allentown PA. Will you be in the PA area with Gary Stack again we I missed you when you had your accident last fall.
    Take care.
  • hot_rod
    Hi Bob, yes it is archived a few days after the presentation.

I'll let you know when I ride that area again.

Here’s the registration link for this week’s web:

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/1478805019959460097

Here’s the link for the Coffee Sched (doesn’t change):

http://www.caleffi.com/usa/en-us/coffee-caleffitm-schedule

Here’s the line for the YT Coffee archive (doesn’t change):

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,422
    Great I have taken some of your webinars, is there anyway I can get the pdf of the webinars.
  • hot_rod
    thanks for tuning in, sure we can send the pdf, let me know which ones you need.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • ced48
    ced48 Member Posts: 469
    hot rod- This sounds great, is there a way to ask questions at some point?
  • hot_rod
    sure, you can type in a question, we have too many attendees to open then phone lines.

i'm learning a lot about the finer points of air from Jody, he worked for Amtrol and Viessmann so a different level of understanding.

Thanks, I'll watch for you Thursday.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • ced48
    ced48 Member Posts: 469
    Bob-This webinar was great, and I will certainly be attending them in the future. This is a great service you and your company are offering-My computer's operating system is dated, so I had to listen by phone and didn't get a chance to ask questions. One is probably quite simple, but am I right to assume that once the air is removed from the system, at a given temperature and pressure, it will not return, unless new air is entering the system from a leak, ect.?

Also, is 4 gallons per minute, thru 1" pipe enough velocity for proper operation of a micro bubble separator? I now this is below the speed per second recommended for air entrainment, but from what I gathered from the presentation, the separators work by slowing velocity within their bodies, allowing the air to cling to the mesh, and rise as they enlarge and slow down. So it might seem logical that they may work even better at slower speeds?
  • hot_rod
    Thanks for joining us today, past webinars are archived also, if you want to view previous ones.

Once the system has operated at the conditions required to obtain 100% removal and you have adequate removal devices you should remain air free.

Systems can sometimes pull air into a closed loop system by improper placement of vents, around packings on valves, and some say even pump seals. So you want to have a high performance air removal device in place and working at all times.

Gaseous cavitation, the forming of vapor pockets at a pump, for example can present, or sound like an air problem also.

We test our air separators out to 10 fps as do most other manufacturers. performance of a micro bubble type drops a small amount at high velocity, still much better than a scoop type removal device.

2 fps not much different than 4 fps as far as performance, we have test results somewhere that show performance across various flow rates, some of the online tech sheets show that performance.

It's those tiny micro-bubbles that need special attention, and removal especially in high performance boilers and heat emitters.

Jody did a great job getting into the finer details of air elimination, I learned a bunch, especially about tall building systems :)

For some reason I can't attach that graph, I'll try a bit later.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA