Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

manuafacturer rep. jobs

Options
Paul_69
Paul_69 Member Posts: 251
How do these guys get tech rep jobs with companys. I have searched around but dont seem to find them. After 36 yrs in the trade I was interested in maybe finding a job in this field that would be willing to train me about there product.i live in the southeast mass area.

Comments

• Hilly
    Hilly Member Posts: 427
    Options
    I called a rep a few years ago about the Alpha. I believe at the time the product was 2-4 years old. He says, let me look into it for you. Calls me back a week later (I had a national wholesale chain do a branch transfer for me) and I already had the thing installed. But regardless he gets on a spiel about how great that product looks and he believes it'll be a game changer blah blah blah but it'll be hard to get in a quick timeline because it's so new. Same rep who tried to sell me up on some UP16-10's when I called to ask him if he had any stainless re-circs in distribution in the city that he knew of (wanted to do an icesailor sidearm special). No no he says, (because I was looking for a SS circ he assumed my application) I've had great 'feedback' and reviews from one wholesaler he continued and they're selling tons of them. I told him, "You've pushed tons in there eh? Was it more like 9?" he said "close to that". "Yeah I know because those all went into the 9 new houses I did last year. I am lucky to have an office job now so my time in the field is only for select people or when I want to buy a new toy, because if I had a choice everyone would have re-circs in the home. He reps at least 25 companies and I get anxiety every time I have to 'contact your local rep' first. But honestly there are like 4 people in my whole province that rep almost every plumbing and heating manufacturer. There is one guy I like dealing with, and that's it. He doesn't know everything, and I certainly don't either, not even close actually... but like me he cares, he tries and he researches... in the end he is always helpful. WOOOWWW, I really know how to ramble. I just don't like that rep and got into a mouthful.

I guess what I wanted to say was, I wish more hydronics guys were hydronic company reps instead of 'business student salesmen' And before everyone anyone mentions it, I am sure there are a ton of great reps across North America, but 75% of mine suck. I'm just happy that companies really expanded their customer service and in-house educational and technical services in the last ten years. Cause lets be honest, Caleffi, Taco, Uponor, etc are all the ones really telling the customers about their products and its usually use requesting them at the wholesaler that gets them in the door. At least in my neck of the woods that's how it works. Wow, thanks and sorry to anyone that made it to the end of this.
  • Hilly
    Hilly Member Posts: 427
    Options
    question -> Reps aren't usually in anyway employed or paid salary by companies are they?
  • Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620
    Options
    Paul, you could start by going to manufacture's websites and looking under their career link? If I may ask what area's are you strong in? I know of a manufacture looking for New England Rep I'd be happy to pass that info on to you if you're interested.

My email is; alanmercurio@oiltechtalk.com

Alan

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Contact Emerson Swan . They are growing and may need good guys . Randolph , Mass
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Options
    Where do you live? If in the north east call a local F W Webb branch send them your resume. Wholesalers are always looking for good employees.
    We have a inside HVAC salesman that was in the field almost 25 years and he was getting older just did not want to crawl in attics and crawl spaces and basements.
  • Alan R. Mercurio_3
    Alan R. Mercurio_3 Member Posts: 1,620
    Options
    I was thinking about this today and almost forgot to mention that it pays to wander from The Wall Here on Heating Help and check out other pages, Like Opportunities :smile:

http://forum.heatinghelp.com/categories/job-opportunities

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Options
    there are jobs with Manuf, manuf reps and distributors. I have always felt that more guys should come out of the trades and into the rep business. It won't work for everyone but it worked for me. The success I had in the rep business I credit largely to my experience working with the tools. For the most part, I was more of a resource rather than just a source of product. That was by no means universal, but for the most part it worked.

I have a lot of respect for guys who are successful in the contracting business. Having failed at it, that is a qualified opinion. In my experience a lot of contractors don't understand the business end of the business. I know I didn't. I didn't learn it until I was a rep. Then I was like, "Gee wiz, I AM dumber than a post". I didn't appreciate the value of the distributor, rep and in many cases the manuf. I was working to many hours to pay attention. I could neither work harder nor could I work dumber. Ahh, life's lessons.

As Alan suggested, look at assorted manuf web sites, Monster.com, distributors and by all means, talk to the local reps in your area. Put a resume together prior to moving forward. It will be necessary and it will help you get your mind set for the conversation. No BS, just the facts! Don't agonize over it. Just do it;)

Good luck
    Alan R. Mercurio_3
  • Paul_69
    Options
    Thx to all reply
    Alan R. Mercurio_3
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Paul did you get my PM? Seem they don't always connect?
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Paul_69
    Options
    Hot rod. No I did noy
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Paul said:

Hot rod. No I did noy

Caleffi is looking for someone in the New England area, try me at bob.rohr@caleffi.com and I can connect you.

Where are you located?

Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Hot rod do you know John serlerno he is the nj/ny rep
  • hot_rod
    Options
    I do know John and travel with him once a year, nice easy going guy. He covers NJ for Rathe and Associates they are HQed on the Isle of Long, NY.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Paul_69
  • Paul_69
    Options
    Hot rod I am near brockton mass
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Yea he's a good guy, he came to my house a few times. I have him in my cell phone. He's my webstone guy when I have a question.