Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

manifolds

Are there problems with putting manifolds in basement below tubing? Im cocerned with air removal.

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    edited February 2015
    Everyone of these manifolds is in the basement . We have not encountered any air issues yet , neither have many others that for various reasons were plumbed similarly . \
    http://mechanical-hub.com/langans

System and piping configuration effect all your decisions . What type of tubing , emitters , flows , head . If you keep the flows moving at recommended FPS you should be able to do it . Baseboard was always above the supply and return piping , did you always have air issues then ?
    Just pay attention to where and how you are eliminating the air that may give you a headache . Often times it may get challenging , you sometimes have to think like air and fluid . Think about how you would act in a situation where you were trapped , needed to escape or just wanted to go and hang out like the LAZY and STUPID entity that they both are .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • jerseyfitter
    jerseyfitter Member Posts: 11
    Hi RICH. Baseboard has coinvents .Radiant tubing has nothing like that.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    If you need them, air vents can easily be installed on manifolds.
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,021
    Many of the radiant manifolds have vents on them, or they can be added. The Caleffi brand comes with air vents on S&R as well as hygroscopic caps for extra protection.

Usually once the loops are purged and running, with a good central air separator they should stay air free.

Or chose a closet upstairs and mount the manifold with loops dropping down, then you have a high point for float type vents to work.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • Rich_49
    edited February 2015
    Fitter ,

Coin vents were really cool when all we had was terrible air scoops that scooped very little air . With the stuff we have available now and proper piping air should not be a problem .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    732-751-1560
    RobG
  • bmwpowere36m3
    bmwpowere36m3 Member Posts: 512
    @Rich

Any reason you didn't mount the manifold totally upside down? Seems like you would reduce the leader lengths and free up some space (instead of going down and back up). That's what I wanted to do on my install as all the PEX lines will come down from the ceiling. However I don't know if it'll impact the performance of the flow meters or usage of zone actuators…
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,021
    FYI, The Caleffi manifolds are available in an inverted option. Flow meters and actuators work fine upside down, however if it is a chilled water, which can sweat and condense, you need to use the sealed actuator 6564. this is also a low current draw actuator at 250mA or 6VA, for 6 per 40Va transformer..safely.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    bmwpowere36m3
  • bmwpowere36m3
    bmwpowere36m3 Member Posts: 512
    @hot rod

Thanks for the info. I'd have gone with Caleffi, but my local supplier carries Roth and is giving me great pricing.
  • Rich_49

@Rich

Any reason you didn't mount the manifold totally upside down? Seems like you would reduce the leader lengths and free up some space (instead of going down and back up). That's what I wanted to do on my install as all the PEX lines will come down from the ceiling. However I don't know if it'll impact the performance of the flow meters or usage of zone actuators…

i try not to locate water over wires , electronics . Just a habit . Standing on your head or turning your head sideways sucks too when trying to make adjustments . LOL

732-751-1560
    bmwpowere36m3