Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

how do i temper hot water "cooler" and chilled water "warmer" with one 4way valve & controller

Options
pipeking
pipeking Member Posts: 252
a lot has change since I've last been on the wall, sorry....
so I have 2 temp heating (hydro air, radiant) which I have know problem with, but this my first 2 temp cooling. so the chilled water for my air handlers will be to cold for my radiant, can I use one 4 way valve to do my heat and cooling tempering with a 2 stage controller? what have you done in this situation? what brand have u used? simplicity is king!

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Do you plan on running these simultaneously ?
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • pipeking
    Options
    yes. heating radiant and heating hydro. cooling radiant and cooling/dehumidify hydro. aaand heating radiant with cooling/dehumidifying hydro.
    a little complex, but its pretty much all coverd, except, I don't know who makes (or even exsists) a floating 4 way valve, with a controller that will do this
  • Rich_49
    Options
    What is / are source / s for this application ?
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    732-751-1560
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,158
    Options
    Belimo would be a good place to look.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • pipeking
    Options
    modine geofinity ground source heat pump, and an HTP elite. Should that matter?
  • pipeking
    Options
    The belimo might not work, the valve I'm looking for will have the 9 zones of radiant on it (the whole house). That particular valve comes in 3/4". what would I used to control that?
  • Rich_49
    Options
    This is a home obviously so may I ask why A/c and heating would be running simultaneously ?
    Hot Rod , I know you have a nice radiant heating and cooling control picture in one of those I Dronics issues , cannot remember which one .
    732-751-1560
  • pipeking
    Options
    It's would be heating and dehumifcation. It's is a "super efficient" home, sealed tight and the homeowner/very successful architect is worried about humidity. There is an erv. for fresh air recurculation. So this is where I'm at....
  • hot_rod
    Options
    Rich said:

This is a home obviously so may I ask why A/c and heating would be running simultaneously ?
    Hot Rod , I know you have a nice radiant heating and cooling control picture in one of those I Dronics issues , cannot remember which one .

Good memory, Rich

May be some helpful info here

http://www.caleffi.com/sites/default/files/coll_attach_file/idronics_13_0.pdf
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    The six way valve is intended for terminal applications in a four pipe system (typically found in commercial buildings having glass curtain walls.) They are designed for flow rates under about 6 GPM.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? A pair of 3-ways (which Belimo makes in sizes for flows of <1 GPM through ~200 GPM) can do pretty much the same thing with proper wiring and switching.
  • hot_rod
    Options
    pipeking said:

The belimo might not work, the valve I'm looking for will have the 9 zones of radiant on it (the whole house). That particular valve comes in 3/4". what would I used to control that?

Maybe not that valve specifically but Belimo makes thousands of special purpose valves most available with a choice of actuators. just an idea for a place to shop.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
  • pipeking
    Options
    i guess its not so much the valve and actuator im having a problem with, its controlling it.
  • SWEI
    Options
    Can you describe what you're trying to do? I might have some ideas.
  • pipeking
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have a hot water buffer and and a cold water buffer, between the 2 tanks I should have good sequence of operation with 3way diverting valves, pumps and checks. They will supply a header for my air handlers and a Header for my radiant. The air handler header comes first and will get tank temp. The radiant is second and will have tempered water. I need a control that will meter my mixing valve for 160*to85*f+/-, and from 38*to60*+/-. This controller will prolly have supply temp sensor and know when to switch Temps, or even better have an unlimited temp. reset.
  • pipeking
    Options
    what controller will do this
  • SWEI
    Options
    Sounds like you are describing a two pipe system -- hot water in winter and cold water in summer, all running through the same pipes, valves, tanks, and emitters?
  • pipeking
    Options
    so I went with tekmar mixing setpoint control 153, and im going to have to install 2. one for chilled temps and one for heat temps, and switch between the 2 with sequencing. thanks anyway