Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Jacobus vent not closing and spitting water

I am a first time poster long time reader. I have recently dove into upgrading the ancient radiator vents on my one pipe steam system. I was trying to balance my system as well as fix some broken vents that did not close properly. Reading on this site lead me to replace them with Jacobus orifis style vents.

However after replacing the vents I ran into an awful problem. Now most if not all of my brand new vents do not close and many are whistling and spitting water. I did some more research and it sounded like it could be a pressure issue. I checked the pressure and it goes to 2psi when running which sounds like it should be ok.

Does anyone have any suggestions? This wakes me up every night and is driving me crazy. Could u have gotten a bad batch of vents? Any help is appreciated

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    It's possible one air valve is faulty but unlikely several are bad. It sounds like your system is running at more than 2 PSI. I use the same vents and they do not make any real noise, you can hear them if it's real quiet but it's not bothersome.

Are you sure it's really only going to 2 PSI? The gauge might be lying, the stock pressure gauge on a boiler do not read pressure at all accurately down at 2 PSI. Check the settings on the pressuretrol, the frond scale should be as low as it can go and the white wheel (behind the front cover) should be set to 1 and lower if it will go there.

There should be a pigtail between the boiler and the pressuretrol, that pigtail can become clogged. The pigtail should be removed and checked to be sure it is clear. While the pressuretrol is off, check the little hole inside the brass mounting fitting to make sure it is clear.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,722
    Also what size vents did you install on the radiators? How much main venting do you have?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Please post pics of near boiler piping.
  • Jmorgan
    Jmorgan Member Posts: 4
    See photos...im guessing my pressure controller isn't set right... Thoughts?
  • Jmorgan
    Bad at attaching, my apologies
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    That boiler is not piped correctly and it's probably making very wet steam. If you have the manual that came with it look at the suggested piping and then look at what you have.

Have you checked the pigtail to make sure it's clear and is the pressuretrol set correctly?

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • neilc
    neilc Member Posts: 2,692
    Ptrol is set too high
    known to beat dead horses
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Set the Main at about 1.5PSI (a bit under the "2" and the differential at about .5PSI (A bit under the "1")
    As has been said, the near boiler piping is all wrong. No Header at all. Boiler riser should go innto a Header, Riser(s) to the Main(s) should go after the riser and before the Equalizer and the Equalizer should come off the end of the Header.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Jmorgan said:

See photos...im guessing my pressure controller isn't set right... Thoughts?

Well there's your problem. You need to correct the near boiler piping.
  • Jmorgan
    Adjusting the ptrol helped but it looks like I got some piping to fix :(