Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

F&T trap install

Options
I have been diagnosing and improving our two pipe steam system in a 9,000 sq ft nixed use Building in Boston that I own and renovated. It appears that several "Steam experts" in our area let us down on this. The last one in suggested we replace the Barnes and Jones F&T traps for these Mepco traps.

I have had issues getting steam to the furthest radiators in the system on one leg of the steam main and it appears that the install of these traps may be a problem. To my mind the condensate and air that is supposed to exit these traps has to run Uphill.

One symptom I am having is bouncing pressure gage at the boiler. I have a 2 year old Boiler which was drained down in the fall so I don't think it needs skimming as the sight glass only shows rusty water. With help from the forum so far I diagnosed missing cage units in steam traps and remedied that. I have managed to reduce running pressure from 3PSI to 12oz.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    You can't see oil on the surface of the boiler water from the sight glass. If there is a lot of bounce in the water in the sight glaass, trust that the boiler needs a good skim, maybe two or three to get those oils out.
    Gordo
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    If new piping was installed, skimming is necessary. Draining and refilling the boiler is not skimming and will not remove oils from surface of the water.
    Gordo
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    edited February 2015
    Options
    You should install a main vent on the unused top plug of that F&T trap, and keep it raised above the height of the main.
    Gordo
  • Johncapn
    Johncapn Member Posts: 21
    Options
    Thanks Fred and Abracadabra. There is some "bounce" in the sight glass when the boiler is running would that show up in the pressure gage as the needle bouncing around?
  • Johncapn
    Options
    JStar said:

You should install a main vent on the unused top plug of that F&T trap, and keep it raised above the height of the main.

JStar, our system uses crossover traps around the steam mains and I am venting at the end of the dry returns. However as the steam gets to the end of the Steam Mains the crossover traps become fewer. Perhaps a couple of Gorton #2's would help? However the F&T traps are in a clothing store and a shoe repair store. Will they drip water or hiss loudly?
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    What size and length of pipe between the last cross-over trap and the F&T trap?
  • Johncapn
    Options
    If I have time today (still shoveling in Boston) I will try a Boiler skim.

Thanks for the help so far...
  • Johncapn
    Options
    JStar said:

What size and length of pipe between the last cross-over trap and the F&T trap?

Jstar, about 3 feet in length. Bout half of it is the steam main and half is 2' pipe. the crossover can be seen in this photo teeing off the steam main in the top right of the shot.