Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Beckett AF II 150 Burner

Options
hypogee
hypogee Member Posts: 3
Hello, I have a Beckett AF II 150 burner with a Burnham LEDv3 boiler. I had the primary control was replaced after the original had failed to a Honeywell R7284. It seems ever since this has been done I know get a strong fuel odor, and heavy carbon build up. I have had the unit cleaned "again", changed nozzle and filter. It appears the oil almost drips a bit out of the nozzle area (Seems wet when chamber door is opened for cleaning). I have found the front gasket also saturated with oil at times, where a few drips had been present on the floor. Looking for any troubleshooting tips or ideas. Not sure if changing any delay settings would help, or if something such as the oil pump. The burner appears otherwise to operate normally, with a nice flame. The concern I have is the oil odor and carbon build up. thanks in advance.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    You should have a Installation and Operation manual with your boiler. And if the burner was on that boiler as a "package", there should be specific instructions for that burner in that combination. I have personally found that Beckett burners are far to sensitive to mistakes made when changing nozzles. Like to an improper one for the application. And that to just downfire a boiler/burner, can lead to major issues if required parts and settings aren't followed.

Plus, that burner is odd because it has a motor on the wrong side and is particular to only that burner.

My personal solution to one of those was a new Carlin EZ-1. Riello's are just as good.

There are tech's out there that can make them run like the wind. A few. And they mostly don't like to mess with a mess. Like yours.
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    Options
    Could be a pump seal leak, but those have a pitch into the chamber like no other. Is it possible that the old control was running intermittent (constant) ignition? Sounds like incomplete combustion, and there need to also be a pre and post purge on those. What nozzle and firing pin is in there?
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    @billtwocase:

Could be a pump seal leak, but those have a pitch into the chamber like no other. Is it possible that the old control was running intermittent (constant) ignition? Sounds like incomplete combustion, and there need to also be a pre and post purge on those. What nozzle and firing pin is in there?

And IMO, if the OP doesn't understand what you just said, they don't belong working on that burner with those described problems. Even some "qualified" techs should avoid it unless under quality supervision. (Maybe why that model burner didn't take off and become the next Riello)

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,113
    Options
    Is that a direct vent boiler .If so you do need a oil relay with pre and post purge and a oil delay valve .Does it also have the outside air intake and a air inlet boot on the burner ,thats if this is a direct vent ,not into a chimney .If not find some who is familar with your burner .Also are they using a tiget loop on your oil lines i do believe it may be reccomened on that burner .Its been a while Since i have worked on one but they can be finickey and may require a low fire air baffle and of course some good oil filtration that boiler takes a small nozzle if menory serve me wrong .Maybe have them send a real tech and really go over it ,vacume,pump pressure ,pump cut out ,burner coupling and blower wheel for dust build up and of course combustion testing ,these are small things that should not ne overlooked or not done at every cleaning or service call .No and thats the short ,sounds like i said ya need some one who knows what there doing to give it a good looking at peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
    icesailor
  • hypogee
    Options
    OK, I know it's stubborn piece of junk but its mine and the only thing I have to work with, LOL. I'm just trying to troubleshoot a bit more because I think my boiler guy is a little stumped. (Been here 3 times since November cleaning and adjusting). Since replacing the primary control. So upon further investigation these are some numbers for you.
    Current nozzle, .85/60*B
    Valve delay is set to 20 sec
    Igniter trial is set to 15 seconds
    Burner off is set to 4 minutes
    746001 Honeywell igniter
    suntec a2va-3006 pump
    ignites every time, no external leaks, except occasionally at the gasket where blast chamber enters boiler
    just the smell and heavy carbon build up, again thanks for the input
  • hypogee
    Options
    This is a direct vent system installed in 2003
  • Mrwizard
    Mrwizard Member Posts: 3
    Options
    The LEDV/AFII combination works well. I've serviced and installed many since Burnham introduced the LE in the '90s. An AFII-150 is an excellent burner, which can provide years of reliable service.
    It sounds like something may have been "missed" during the service. An 85/60*B would require a number 3 pin as a starting point. Head position contributes to combustion results, probably not the issue here.
    The delays on the 7284 should not be a problem. 4 minute post is a typical DV installation.
    Check the pump cut-off on the Suntec 3006 and look for leaks at the nozzle adapter. The other consideration is an oil line issue, such as high vacuum or a compression fitting that add micro bubbles to the oil supply. Those "bubbles" will expand on the off cycle and create a drip.
    Your technician can call RWB tech service directly from your home for additional suggestions.
    kcopp
  • earl burnermann
    earl burnermann Member Posts: 126
    Options
    Does your tech use a combustion analyzer to adjust your equipment? If not, this could be the problem.

There was an error rendering this rich post.