Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas HW Boiler constantly cycling on cold days to keep temp.

Options
2»

Comments

• riclyo
    riclyo Member Posts: 12
    Options
    "Try putting a piece of plywood in front of the termination. If the problem stops, its either the blower or the wind. A cheap experiment. Don't put the plywood against the outlet. Get some saw nags and weight them down with cement blocks or something. Then lean the plywood against the nags. If you get my idea."

I have no idea what you are talking about....???

So I know without a doubt the windows aren't the best.

Step 1 Buy 1/8" acrylic sheets to make "interior storm windows" as they are called. Estimated cost around just under $1000 for all windows in house and much cheaper than actual exterior storms which don't actually seal air movement compared to interior storms.

Step 2 rent FLIR camera from home depot and find other problem areas and address them . Guessing front door could benefit from a storm, back door from proper weather stripping or complete replacement.

Step 3 keeping current boiler split loop and keep current BB except the smaller BR which I'll change to a rad like the bath.

My idea of throwing more heat at the situation just for it to go out the window doesn't seem logical in the long run.

hot rod

All tile and heart pine floors. The only baseboards that are block are the living room which the couch can be pulled out and the smaller bedroom which has a bed covering 6+' of the 9' baseboard rendering it almost useless which is why I will most likely turn it into a radiator.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    "Saw Nags" Saw Horses. The cheap HD or Lowes ones work fine.
  • john p_2
    john p_2 Member Posts: 367
    Options
    Ice, I couldn't agree more...there needs to be heat in that stair way...
  • icesailor
    Options
    john p said:

Ice, I couldn't agree more...there needs to be heat in that stair way...

Thank you.

A lack of radiation in entranceways and hallways create drafty cold spots. Making the house feel cold.
  • icesailor
    Options
    "" Step 1 Buy 1/8" acrylic sheets to make "interior storm windows" as they are called. Estimated cost around just under $1000 for all windows in house and much cheaper than actual exterior storms which don't actually seal air movement compared to interior storms. ""

It isn't so much of the tight seal as the air thickness that gives the insulating valve.

If you have quality woodpecker skills, you can make inner city storms out of 1 X 2 wood and heavy clear vinyl/plastic sheeting. Fit in place for the cold months.

When you ride around Boston, and look at all the old brick buildings, they almost all have aluminum storm windows installed. You don't even know they are there until you look.
    AlCorelliNY
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    give,a,serious thought to cellular window treatments they will have a huge effect.
    icesailorSWEI
  • jogrady
    jogrady Member Posts: 5
    Options
    My boiler short cycles when and when the first floo calls for heat but when second floor calls for heat it turn right on . I replaced first floor thermostat yesterday and it worked but today it has started short cycling again. Could it be the wiring?
  • delta T
    delta T Member Posts: 884
    Options
    @jogrady, I would start a new thread to get more attention. We will need some more information about your system to get you some ansewers. Is it hot water? baseboard? radiators? chances are it is not the wiring....
  • jogrady
    jogrady Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hot water slant fin boiler baseboard I have three zones . Two work well and the first floor zone is where the problem Is