Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Storage tank with Gas Boiler

Options
So I have a radiant heat system in the house i just bought, uses water, using a Gas Boiler, 1 pump and 8 zones, each zone is controlled by a honeywell Valve with an end switch. The thermostat triggers the valve which triggers the end switch which powers up the pump and also triggers the boiler as required. One of these zones also feeds an indirect water heater.

What I find is the system works just fine, however I can hear the boiler fire up run for a few minutes when an area calls for heat and then shuts down only to fire up a few minutes later when the next region calls for heat.

Each of the zones essentially feeds out from the pump and then they all loop back to the boiler.

I "BELIEVE" I want to add a thermal mass storage tank but unsure if am to add the Storage tank on the input to the boiler or on the output to boiler and if this would truly provide any value. Can someone provide some guidance on this matter?

Even considering replacing my current indirect water heater with a turbomax.

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    How many BTUs is the boiler and what is the total heat loss of the house at design ? Radiant zoning can often be aggressive and possibly should be depending on lots of factors . Your boiler is short cycling and will do so even at design which makes it worse at low load times , like most of the year . Don't just go throwing any old tank in there though , it should be sized to eliminate the short cycle problem and also hydraulically separate the boiler pump from the system pump . What boiler is installed and what is the smallest zone load ?
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,415
    Options
    Rich is right on. With that, there is a formula for that, we need more info, like what's your boiler size and fireing rate of gas valve, and smallest zone.
  • hemertwv
    hemertwv Member Posts: 5
    Options
    So it is now obvious to me this is above my head this afternoon I found a local contractor who has agreed to help me with the technical engineering.

Thanks for the guidance
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,157
    Options
    The math isn't really that hard, but a quick calculator for buffer tank sizing is at boilerbuddy.com
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream