Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Abe Lincoln was self taught

Options
Tinman
Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
RSES, NATE, ACCA, RPA, and on and on and on. How do you choose? And why? And when does it become cost prohibitive? If you are joining, are you getting what you needed//wanted? And if you're diligent and dedicated, couldn't you get most, if not all the information offered by reading text books, trade publications, trade periodicals (most of which are free), and visiting great websites like this one? Is their a tangible ROI?

I've been a member to most at one time or another and I think it was more a matter of just being supportive of further educating our industry as a whole and having access to more information myself. If my budget allowed, I'd probably join all of these, and more, again. But I honestly learn more just from always wanting to know more and opening a book.

I really am curious as to why others join and how it's benefited them, their employees, and their companies.
Steve Minnich
icesailor

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,192
    Options
    They are also a good vehicle for giving back to the industry :)

Jump on a committee, offer to present a webinar or live training.

Folks with your experience and knowledge have a lot to share, trade groups are for gaining and sharing knowledge.

Growing a membership involves a lot of hard work and offering the industry what they ask for is one of the keys.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Tinman
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I agree. I taught Heating Fundamentals and Heating Controls @ Harper Community College and I loved it. Seeing the enthusiasm of the students was awesome and witnessing how good they felt about their accomplishments was even better. I'm training my new guy now and that's so time consuming, almost as much as a class of 30.
    Steve Minnich
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,192
    Options
    Yeah, it's always about budging time when you have a business to run also.

Plenty of online vehicles to offer training. The RPA, HeatSprings, HalfMoon and dozens of others are looking for content and instructors. Same with the magazines. Or your own You Tube channel.

Once you build a training ppt it has a long shelf life, just update product slides or add new job pics from time to time.

Attendees are learning while you are sleeping with online courses.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
    Canucker
  • NYC007
    NYC007 Member Posts: 15
    Options
    Well, I am new here, however I did attend a session w Dan..Within the past year I had a severe Heating Issue w a Boiler-After having (5) So-called Professionals look at my system all to tell me different "Fixes" - I finally raised a question to myself about an "Installation" a contractor did, and called the Boiler Manufacturer, I found One of the potentially unknown major screw ups that a contractor did. I will post pictures soon. So for personal knowledge I came here, and have to thank you all for what you do ! These pictures will floor you or may not, but I guess its what is out there in the field. It took 1 1/2 To get steam on one side of a commercial building, now it takes 20-30 minutes after this (1) fix, lord knows how many other "Issues" this poor system has that I have to discover~