Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Bad Gorton #1 Steam Vent?

Options
I got a Gorton #1 steam vent off Amazon to replace my leaking Hoffman 45 vent for my main in the basement. While the Gorton #1 closes and doesn't blow out steam, I noticed a leak developing at the very bottom of the circular chamber where the cover is sealed to the main body. I thought I just had a defective vent so I replaced it with a new one. However, I noticed my replacement vent is still leaking, possibly from the same area.

I've heard good things about Gorton vents before. Is it that I've just got two defective steam vents in a row? Or is there something else going on in my system that's causing it to leak from the vent body cover? Pictures are attached of where I saw the leak develop on the first vent I got.

Comments

• Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Did you buy the second one on ebay as well? My guess is that someone got some bad ones (or ones thgat are considered "seconds") and they are selling them as new.
    AlCorelliNY
  • colonelcasey
    colonelcasey Member Posts: 17
    Options
    Both were third-party sellers on Amazon. I'm going to keep an eye on the replacement vent I'm using but if it keeps leaking, is there a more reputable site to get a Gorton #1 vent?
  • Snowmelt
    Snowmelt Member Posts: 1,416
    Options
    Yea your local supply house
    AlCorelliNY
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    You can also get them from Supplyhouse.com They ship fast and are good about any returns.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    The bottom of that vent loks like someone dinged it or got a channel-lock on the body inadvertantly.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options

The bottom of that vent loks like someone dinged it or got a channel-lock on the body inadvertantly.

I see the same thing, clearly a crease in the housing just above the hex.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,734
    Options
    I buy all of my Gortons from Supplyhouse.com.
    If I have any problems I just contact Ken over at Gorton. They are one of the best companies I've ever dealt with.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment