Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Cracked radiator

Options
JohnW2
JohnW2 Member Posts: 21
I had a radiator that was making a strange whining sound, but it wasn't coming from the vent. I noticed that the floor was slightly damp below the radiator. After feeling around on the radiator, I found a point near the middle top where some old paint was feeling off, and it was slightly damp. I can't really see the crack/hole, but I can feel where water is leaking out. Is there any way to fix a cracked radiator, or is it going to need to be replaced? And what are my options if it needs replacing? New? Used? What is the best way to proceed? I'm guessing it's going to cost me a fortune.

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    Some people have had luck using JB weld type products to make repairs, but it depends how bad it is. I personally have not done it, but others here have with some success. The other option of course is replacement. This depends upon your options. I know in my area there are several salvage companies that sell used radiators that have been pressure tested and warrantied for 1 year. They typically need painted, but the prices are reasonable (we do not discuss pricing here). I am assuming this is a steam radiator by what you said?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • JohnW2
    Options
    Yes, one pipe steam system.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Is it leaking around one of the push nipples between the radiator secctions? Most radiators have rods (usually 2 near the top and two near the bottom) that run through the entire radiator to hold the sections together. Is there any possibility that you can tighten those, at the top, up a bit? They may have stretched a bit over the years from expansion/contraction.
  • JohnW2
    Options
    No, unfortunately it's in one of the section tubes itself, a few inches down from the top.
  • Fred
    Fred Member Posts: 8,542
    Options
    Try the JB weld. Just be sure to clean the area really well and turn the radiator off for a few hours when you do the repair to allow the epoxy to cure. If you can find the crack, try to push the JB weld into it as much as possible.
  • rlev11
    rlev11 Member Posts: 8
    Options
    I had a radiator (single pipe steam) crack on me around 15 years ago in the area of the vent hole, I cleaned all the paint off and got it down to bare metal, slapped on some JB weld and it has been fine ever since