Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Seek thermal camera

Options
Has any one tried the new Seek thermal camera for iPhone or android,looks like it could be a useful tool in
certain situations.
Thanks,
Randy-Lee

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I believe that is "simulated " thermal imagery.

Edit: I'm wrong have not seen that. But for 250 can't believe there is even a comparison for the real McCoy.
  • Randy-LeeBraman
    Randy-LeeBraman Member Posts: 46
    Options
    The price is $199,i saw it first here on the wall.But i thought it would also be handy for a lot of things.
  • Abracadabra
    Abracadabra Member Posts: 1,948
    Options
    I've been very happy with mine. It's come in handy in helping me troubleshoot some problems that would have taken longer otherwise.
  • Randy-LeeBraman
    Randy-LeeBraman Member Posts: 46
    Options
    So i ended up getting the Seek Thermal XR,yes it doesn't have the definition of the flir but you can tell what your looking at.And it
    just about paid for it self today by showing a customer that the heating system wasn't his only problem but his envelope had lots of problems so he is having me install two panel rads so he can keep his old windows and doors.I'm including a few of the pics i took.Had to include a couple of pics of my little guy CB and my wife with on of our great danes,told her she was one hot mama!!
  • Toymotorhead
    Toymotorhead Member Posts: 54
    Options
    I just picked up the Seek thermal camera myself. Having only had it for a day, its pretty amazing given the price point. Its not as amazing as the $3K fluke or flir. But its also ~$200.00, they are only a few releases into the software and the case fits in your pocket.

The mode where you get a temperature dot in the center of the view seems to work well. Seems fairly accurate compared to my IR non contact thermometer.

You get to pick from several different color schemes.

The ability to slide back and forth between the thermal image and the cell phone camera image does work, but its a little hokey, and not quite as good as it could be. And can be a little confusing since the camera and thermal imager are spaced fairly far apart, and have different fields of view.

Since you are actually seeing the radiant heat you can get confused, shiny things, (like the flue pipe in one of the images below show up wrong, since they have strange reflective/emissive properties compared to other materials.)

Overall i am amazed for how low cost it is, I bet I can make my ~$200.00 back just in finding energy hogs and holes in my 1875 house. And I certainly can make it back in billable troubleshooting time at work.

(Yes its 65 degrees here, yes I fired up the boiler just so I could play with the new toy)

There are a bunch of images below. A few shots of steam piping, insulated and not. A shot of the top of my boiler as it was starting to heat up. ( Notice the strange artifiacts on the vertical flue, its far hotter than the picture suggests). And an electrical panel I found on site today that has too many breakers running at capacity in one corner. And a some shots of a Gorton No2 steam vent filling and closing.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

STEVEusaPA