Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Unusual radiant system

DanHolohan
DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,513
My friend Brian Gelber sent me this photo and wrote, "I recently saw this unusual radiant job. It was in sea cliff. It's a totally warm air radiant system with a series of air channels getting warm air from a hydro air aid handler fed from a boiler. This was designed by a MIT professor in the early 50's for his own house. I thought it was pretty cool."
Retired and loving it.

Comments

• Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    floor radiant for main level, and ceiling radiant for basement?
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Have seen a similar thing in Howell Township , NJ . Garage floor with 2' x 2' squares w/ 4 pyramid shaped protrusions toward the top of slab . All interlocked so full air flow throughout . I think the Koreans and Asians call this an Ondol system . Pretty cool , worked for a garage and guess maybe in a living space too . How much fuel do you think this would require though ? My guess is a hell of alot .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Tinman
    Tinman Member Posts: 2,808
    I once hung a furnace in a completely encapsulated crawlspace with only a return and supply plenum, no ductwork, and the crawl space hatch left open for combustion air. Just let it run wild and it was satisfying the thermostat without problem even on near 0 degree days. It was my own home and was only temporary while Installing the permanent system. The entire house stayed amazingly warm except for the lone room with carpeting. Too much R value for such a passive set up.
    Steve Minnich
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,103

a few years ago i serviced a home /art studio which was designed by a japanense artist which used clay tile ducts which run the permerter of the building with no real outlets or diffusers of any size nor any sizable return .Needless to say the air flow where it could be felt was nill and the oiled fired hot air units burners just cycled away .Amazingly it did heat the place some what but on below say 20 it was a down hill race with heat lose winning .Gave them a quote on doin panel rads and a boiler and that was that .Never really could figure out what the guy was trying to do but uopn a little looking found alot of the ducts in ground where a mix of tar paper wood and clay tilt and some cinder blocks on there side as take off .Never do really see it all peace and good luck clammy thanks for sharing
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating