Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

new steam boiler

Options
buying 1932- 2000 sq ft cape with steam radiators and a old unused coal furnance.
look for an experienced{steam} contractor in central maine to advise.
Great site!
thanks

Comments

• KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,739
    Options
    So there is a steam system, but no functioning boiler? You could post some pictures here and ask some questions and many can offer some advice here as a starting point for you.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • markg444
    markg444 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Thank you for responding.
    in the process of closing on house this thurs. I am the general contractor on job. The owner asked if the old radiator system could be used. Not familiar with it. Trying to educate myself on feasibility of using system in place. pros/cons

trying to figure out best approach. boiler is{very old} and covered with asbestos, as well as some on pipes.
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    I don't know if there are any steam experts in your area that could help directly. Possibly another pro on the site might know of one and post a recommendation? I didn't see anything in the find a contractor link. Beyond that the advice you will most likely get is keep the steam and possibly have a new boiler installed (if the one that is there is as old as it sounds). Again pictures would help a lot. Many of us are biased towards the steam. It is extremely comfortable heat when it is working well. It is also dead silent which many of us love about it. Again if you post some pictures you would probably get more input about the situation. The asbestos isn't always a problem unless the pipes need disturbed. If a new boiler is needed many times the asbestos can be encapsulated and only remove it from the pipes around the boiler as required. If you or the homeowner is trying to decide what to do I wouldn't factor in the asbestos because if you decide to remove the whole system you need to deal with it anyway. If you can't find a good steam person in your area this site and Dan's books would help a lot. Several of us (me included) educated ourselves and asked for help from the pros and did our own boiler installs. We could help you out with how to do it correctly and then you need to find a plumber that is good with threaded pipe and they could do the install. Steam can be touchy with boiler piping so it's fairly critical everything is done correctly. I truly believe it is worth the investment the comfort of steam can't be beat. Just my $.02 worth.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • markg444
    markg444 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    thank you. i have found a few companies in our area that advertise service on steam systems. installing a new steam boiler
    makes sense. as opposed to retrofitting whole house.
    I will post some pics when i get back in.
    thank you
  • KC_Jones
    Options
    Just keep in mind with contractors...there are companies that work on steam and there are companies that are experts on steam. There can be a HUGE difference between the 2. We see it all the time on this site. It's a slippery slope. I am a homeowner and I got so frustrated with it I did my own install.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Could you post photos of the boiler location and surrounding piping plus a few representative radiators?
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    Post some pics…I will be happy to advise…If the boiler is covered in asbestos its what we call a snowman….Go by the book on that one…If the system, meaning, everything except the boiler is in good shape its just a very simple replacement…Go to Peerless B
  • j a_2
    j a_2 Member Posts: 1,801
    Options
    Sorry hit the wrong button…Go to Peerless Boilers web site and find the link to a steam system survey…Don’t forget make up air and chimney inspection, thats more important than anything