Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

How to dampen HW convector

Options
D107
D107 Member Posts: 1,852
edited February 2015 in THE MAIN WALL
The Buderus room sensor was not installed in the optimum location--a little too close to a downstairs convector, so that the upstairs takes a bit longer to heat up. Next year hope to move the sensor, but for now I want to restrict the convector. (Photos show the type, but not the actual convector itself.) I would experiment with a few levels of restriction. Should I cover the heating element with padding or tin foil and block the output grill from the inside?

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Dampen = make wet.
    Damp = reduce or slow down harmonic oscillations.

Seems like you want to restrict the output of the convector? I thought it was heating slowly?
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    For those of us who embrace third world technology, a piece of scrap cardboard, cut to fit on top of the element, has proved to be an effective way of slowing down the flow of heat.

So has covering up the sensor so that it doesn't read as well.

Those third world'ers say that if you cover the inside, it reads the outside more.
  • D107
    edited February 2015
    Options
    No, SWEI, the other parts of the house heat slowly; the downstairs one near the thermostat heats quickly, therefore how to restrict that one.
  • D107
    Options
    Understood icesailor, except the last remark. Did you mean 'if you cover the inside --of the sensor?--it reads the outside (the room?) more? Hard to cover the sensor as it would restrict easy access but the third world cardboard solution sounds like a good temporary one.