Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No headroom for a Gorton #2, best alternative? Maybe another question or two.

mgdpublic
mgdpublic Member Posts: 7
Hi all,
I've got an oversized boiler and have hissing/gurgling at my air vents. I'm trying to vent my mains better but have little overhead room to put a Gorton #2 vent. I don't want to do much work here. Just add a shorter vent with a lot of capacity. (Why do those vents have to be so big anyway, why not just make the hole bigger?). Can anyone suggest a good alternative?

Also I have one radiator at the end of my main that seems to generate the most pressure of all. It is half the size of the others, but I have tried venting with smaller and larger openings to no effect. Why does this end of the line one generate so much pressure? Thanks all!

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    The pressure should be more or less even throughout the system, and what is the pressure?
    You could always put the new Gorton #2 on the vertical segment of pipe, at the end of the run, where it drops down to the wet return. Having enough main venting capacity is important enough to warrant the effort to put them in. Maybe a one inch steam trap would need less headroom.--NBC
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    Strictly from a capacity standpoint 3 Gorton #1 vents give you similar capacity to the Gorton #2 vent and they are much smaller. You would need a couple fittings to build a vent tree to mount them, but it works. I have this on my system due to headroom issues. I will reiterate what NBC asked.....what is your pressure? Do you have a good low pressure gauge to know for sure what pressure you are running?
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15
  • mgdpublic
    mgdpublic Member Posts: 7
    I don't know my pressure because my clearly steam-blind heating "expert" installed a 0-Billion PSI gauge. Was looking at getting one of the 0-3 psi ones.
  • KC_Jones
    KC_Jones Member Posts: 5,737
    I would suggest getting a low pressure gauge and install it to see what you are really running at (don't remove existing gauge). The pressure can cause some of the symptoms you are describing, but could also be bad vents. Without knowing actual pressure it's hard to diagnose. What is your pressurtrol set to and have you verified your pigtail is not clogged? Not sure what gauge you have, but in most areas the 0-30 PSI gauge is required by code. Not saying it's useful, but that explains why they are there as well as the manufacturer supplying them.
    2014 Weil Mclain EG-40
    EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Boiler Control
    Boiler pictures updated 2/21/15