Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help on New Boiler Size Please

Options
13»

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Design for 70. Set it at 65 degrees. That's called "Fudge Factor".
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    edited February 2015
    Options
    The Eco boiler uses a Giannoni heat exchanger to keep costs down. Buying two boilers would not be my first choice.
    Gordy
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Options
    Agree with SWEI Weil McClain has better offerings in that arena you want a fire tube heat exchanger which would be the the WM 97 CT fire tube design. More money though.
  • Chainreaction
    Chainreaction Member Posts: 24
    Options
    I am learning a lot . Quick web search shows most prefer fire tube as suggested here. More maintenance on Giannoni? So about how much more cost for up-grade? I understand we don't talk price hear but is it legal to get a ballpark figure or a percentage? While I am not infinitely wealthy I am able to spend a little more if if gets me something better. This is a long term investment (I hope)
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    Unless I am sorely mistaken, the wall mount Weil Mclain Eco series does have a fire tube heat exchanger.
  • Gordy
    edited February 2015
    Options
    No Harvey your not my bad its a firetube. Sorry. I confused myself with the Loch CDN
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    Must have gotten it confused with something else recently introduced. Still probably better IMO not to buy, install, and maintain two boilers at that size. Two of the 70's I could almost see -- but really, someone needs to do their homework.
  • Gordy
    Options
    I have to Say the Lochinvar being the other installers choice comes with some nice on board control logic. Cascading boilers, boiler sequencing etc. as Rich mentioned. The WHN is Firetube SS. The WHN 155 is pretty darn close to the high side of yoour heat loss. 1 Boiler
  • Chainreaction
    Options
    fire tube issue resolved!

It seems the discussion now mostly revolves around size of system which is where this all began. Originally we got three designs.

1. 220 btu total using 2 WM ECO110

2. 250 btu using single Trinity.

3. 360 (!!!!) btu using Lock 150 + Lock 210. Clearly this is now out of the question.

So we are now thinking about smallest system. Maybe there are other important factors I forgot to mention? I am not a pro. Other questions I should ask? Other information?
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Options
    Remember the shared wall in your calculation? When I do shared walls I add a little fudge incase the house stands empty and on the market for a year with the heat turned down to 50.
  • Chainreaction
    Options
    good point. The other owner of the shared wall is 95 (no joke) so this is a valid concern.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    Remember.....Gravity conversion, and the ever-present pumping issues.
  • Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    Options
    Take Trinity off the list , last time I checked it was Gianonni HX .
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Chainreaction
    Options
    Ok On the way home I was trying to figure out what I have missed. Here is something to consider. The cellar is big. Like 1000 sq ft easy with 7 foot ceilings and no insulation. It is cold. I take wine from the cellar to the fridge to warm it up! Its a maze down there. The heating pipes are big and run all though it. Is this something to consider? If so, how do I figure?

Rich: Trinity was out a while ago. The contractor dissed my wife. Not a great way to win business. Some people mistake cute for dumb.
  • Gordy
    Options
    Actually trinity has the tft fire tube.

Floors adjacent to the cellar should be accounted for in the mainfloor heatloss. Floor over unheated space. Did you?
  • Chainreaction
    Options
    Gordy: We did that. So accounted for?
  • Gordy
    Options
    Good then keep the wine cellar. Start making it even better yet!